+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. It obviously wasnt going to change his behavior and just escalated the situation.

I would have just gotten up and moved if it was bothering me that much. I know that's "giving in" but aggravating people like that by saying something is just going to aggravate them and they'll either find something else to do to p!ss you off even more or worse just get violent.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 29-05-2013 at 17:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to take the train into Fortitude Valley (what a place! but thats a whole other story!) for my ob appointments and would get on the "Quiet" carriage. Yep, no one took any notice! Especially the school kids!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is limited to teenagers, there are rude people in every age bracket.

The other day on the train a mother was sitting next to her daughter who looked about 2 in the seats facing the centre. I was standing (32 weeks pregnant - didnt actually bother me as I'd been sitting all day but they didnt know that!), the woman could easily have put the kid on her lap.
    The mother had a go at me for "bashing against her daughters feet". She was seriously angry!

The kid was little so her feet were sticking out into the aisle rather than hanging down to the floor, but it was a busy train so those of us standing were all jammed in.
    WTF?!!?
    I was so shocked I actually burst out laughing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely not just young adults but grown ups too. Today I was sworn at by two customers!!! And it wasn't even my fault. I'm sick of it, there is no way, no matter how frustrated I was that I would swear at someone. Everyone seems to have such a sense of entitlement, it's disgusting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarity View Post
    I think the keywords in this paragraph are 'up here'.
    This is in WA, so I'm talking about how it works here in WA. The (day) guards do not have the powers, only the public officers (who work on the trains in the evenings/nights and on weekends) have the powers. The guards here only have the right to infringe people for not having a ticket and that's where their powers end. They can't ask people to leave the train.
    Sorry, my fault there: I think the clincher in this was ''guard". Here, a guard is a Transit Officer and that's who I was referring to. I should have used the correct title. Apparently you also have Transperth Inspectors, Customer Service Officers and Passenger Ticketing Assistants and gawd knows who else on there who can issue a fine but can't remove you. LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Sorry, my fault there: I think the clincher in this was ''guard". Here, a guard is a Transit Officer and that's who I was referring to. I should have used the correct title. Apparently you also have Transperth Inspectors, Customer Service Officers and Passenger Ticketing Assistants and gawd knows who else on there who can issue a fine but can't remove you. LOL
    Yeah we have Transit Officers and they are the only ones with powers, the rest have no powers apart from infringing people with no ticket. It's stupid how its set up here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    im not sure what happens in the daytime, but one night on a brisbane city train, a bunch of people were put off the train at northgate and they were met by about a dozen uniformed policemen and women, paddy wagons and the whole works. Im sure someone must have contacted the police in advance, they were waiting for the train and they knew who to stop as they got off. Someone must have some power, at least at night. Marie.
    I've seen similar things happen a few times, people making trouble on the train have been dragged of the at the next station by police. I assume the train guard phones ahead to organise it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In situations like this I often wonder what that boy has witnessed in his years. Does he come from a loving home? Are his parents drug takers? Has a loved one just died? I'm not condoning his behaviour at all. But quite often teenagers are like toddlers..... They sometimes misbehave when the are craving attention. Or maybe he is battling with undiagnosed depression...... Or maybe he is just a badly behaved teenager. This way of thinking is what helps me change my perceptions and offer compassion (reading into Buddhism a lot lately haha)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (29-05-2013),Annabella  (29-05-2013),CMF  (30-05-2013),InBetween  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    We're you polite to him op? Perhaps your tone didn't sit well with him. I would have said "excuse me, would you mind turning the music down" rather than "if you want to listen to loud music use headphones". His reaction may have been different.
    I agree. I see why the OP was pi$$ed but I would have thought twice before engaging in a baiting exchange with a young man on a train (especially if I had a child).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    In situations like this I often wonder what that boy has witnessed in his years. Does he come from a loving home? Are his parents drug takers? Has a loved one just died? I'm not condoning his behaviour at all. But quite often teenagers are like toddlers..... They sometimes misbehave when the are craving attention. Or maybe he is battling with undiagnosed depression...... Or maybe he is just a badly behaved teenager. This way of thinking is what helps me change my perceptions and offer compassion (reading into Buddhism a lot lately haha)
    This. If he was just a disrespectful so-and-so, he wouldn't have made reference to his day. Teenagers sometimes 'set up' situations to confirm their beliefs. He sounds like he was feeling crap about himself and the world after a difficult day, and his altercation with OP and the staff member just reinforced this for him.

And/Or he uses music to manage difficult emotions, and wasn't able/willing to go without it at that particular time, despite the inconvenience to others.

There is often more to 'disrespectful' or annoying behaviour than meets the eye. I find it helps me to tolerate others when I keep this in mind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

InBetween  (29-05-2013)