+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Not inviting kids to wedding

We are planning a child free wedding. Neither DF or myself wants to have kids there, mainly because most of the kids we would have to invite are not the best behaved and tend to just get hyper at special events, and also because there are so many kids on his side of the family that we would be spending another thousand dollars at least just to feed them all.

So, there are a few potential problems here. We decided that with his nieces/nephews/cousins etc that we would invite the ones that are over 16. There are only about 4 of them, but one of his sisters has 7 kids, and this would mean we would be inviting 2 of her older kids and not the others. My plan is to just write the names of the ones that are invited on the invitation but I wonder if we should maybe mention something about no kids under 16 just in case they don't realise the others aren't invited.

Also, we invited everyone's kids to our engagement party so I'm not sure if that will confuse people with the wedding. If we just put the parents names it might be confusing? So again, should be make it clear on the invite that kids aren't invited?

And one last thing, our bub will be about a year old by the time we get married and we plan on taking him to the wedding, plus we will have another friend's little girl as the flower girl. Are people likely to get annoyed when they are told not to bring their kids but see that we have allowed these two?

Sorry this is long, any advice appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your polite and clear about things I doubt there is anything anyone could say.
    Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowCrazyCool For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013),HugsBunny  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    As long as babies are invited, I wouldn't care. I really wouldn't want to have to look after my big kids (5 and 7.5) at a wedding. I've taken DS2 to three weddings and happily left the big ones at home.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to a wedding earlier this year that had no kids invited with the exception of the groom's niece & nephew (5 & 7yo), and a few babies (all under 10 months old). No one minded that I heard of. Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as the invites go, for the 16+ children, I would write them an individual invite, separate to their parents.
    And I'd "discretely" mention to a family member that you know likes to make everything their business that you're not having under 16's. The word is sure to spread...
    It's your wedding, you make the rules!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013),upforroundtwo  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a child free wedding and it was great. On the invite we wrote 'parents please be aware that this is an adult only occassion'and left kids names off the invite.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thesmallestmeasure For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013),scarymarygoldfish  (25-10-2013),upforroundtwo  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have every right to not invite kids .........just don't be ****ed if u get declines for ppl because the can't bring the kids
    Especially If there is travel involved !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Need~More~Coffee~Please* For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013),SassyMummy  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Need~More~Coffee~Please* View Post
    You have every right to not invite kids .........just don't be ****ed if u get declines for ppl because the can't bring the kids
    Especially If there is travel involved !

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    the only thing I'd add is ring the parents involved and explain personally, might go over better?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybel For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to be upfront with this long before the invites go out, so when they do go out theres no awkwardness as the people with the kids knew that was coming.

Dare i say the older kids may not go either as mum and dad may have them watch the younger ones
    Good way to bring it up could be

"Hi x, i was thinking of inviting Y16 and Z16, but wasn't sure if you would have them babysit the others on the night, cant really afford the extra money for the kids meals, so we thought no kids under 16, would you like me to send Y and Z an invite still?"

I wouldn't worry about the flower-girl and your child.. Flower girls are expected to be there! And so is your child its a little Different when your the bride and grooms child!

I addressed the kids thing early on which i think not only saves the awkward conversation once invites go out, its also easier to explain why without sounding defensive. And gives the heads up for those who need to book or think about babysitters well in advance!

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!
    Last edited by Twoalready; 29-05-2013 at 00:09.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (29-05-2013),Ellymoe  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Be clear that it's a childfree wedding or people will end up unsure, and you'll get a few awkward phonecalls, or people will just rock up with their kids.

I also agree with a PP - you have every right to make it child-free, but you have no right to get cranky if people cannot make it because of that stipulation.