+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Almost 6 month old prefers solids

Hi all

My son is almost 6 months old and has been having 3 solid meals a day for a few weeks now.

I always offer a bottle first (4 times per day), but he will only ever really drink approx 100mls. It's always a struggle to get him to finish a bottle. However when he is offered solids he will eagerly put away a large quantity of food.

I'm only a bit concerned because most people say that milk should be their primary source of nutrition for the first 12 months and yet each day he will struggle to drink a decent amount. I don't remember the last time he finished a bottle.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he is drinking 4x100mls per day and is having dairy such as cheese, yogurt, weetbix with milk etc i wouldn't worry too much. If he's a good weight I think it's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Try cutting back the amount of solids - 6 months is way too young , he could never get the required fat/protein/vitamin amounts he needs for this critical growth period from food alone , formula is definitely the main source of nutrition until 12 months

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-05-2013),Little Miss Muffet  (28-05-2013),peanutmonkey  (28-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MCHN actually encouraged us to reduce milk and increase solids at around that age because my Ds was a little low in weight.

So confusing!

I don't know, I think that as long as your baby is putting on weight and still getting lots of nice wet nappies then it is all good.

But also, my Ds's interest in milk versus solids can be quite changeable. One day he seems to be less interested in milk and won't finish one bottle, the next he is finishing all of them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Try cutting back the amount of solids - 6 months is way too young , he could never get the required fat/protein/vitamin amounts he needs for this critical growth period from food alone , formula is definitely the main source of nutrition until 12 months
    But he is not having food alone, he is still having milk!

Op do not discourage him from solids while he is eating well. Ideally at 6mths bub should be having about 500mls per day so if he is having 400ml I'm sure he will be fine. If he stopped milk altogether at this point then I would worry. In the meantime go with the flow, if he has a growth spurt he may decide he wants more milk, this is what I found with my ds. If your really worried you can give him vitamin drops. A good internet site to visit for reassurance is the baby centre.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 28-05-2013 at 16:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if he was closer to 10-12mths of age i wouldnt be too worried, he could just be starting to self wean or be ready to drop a milk feed but 6mths is so young! They still need all their milk feeds (formula or breastmilk) to be able to get all their required amounts of nutrients for growth and development. Soon he will be mobile (if not already!) and will need all the calories he can get, solids wont provide this for him. I was always told "food before one is fun" as in, it's not supposed to be classed as a meal or milk replacement before 12mths ( i know you're not replacing milk feeds).
    I guess i would reduce the solids. Offer at the times you usually do but half or quater the amount. Or let him eat something himself, ie a piece of fruit (in one of those mesh holder things) or vege at his own pace. He will probably stop when he's had enough or gets tired of it. Then he will hopefully drink more milk next feed.
    But if he's thriving and meeting milestones and you have discussed this with your CHN, then you are entitled to do as you want, after all you're his mum and only you know whats best for him.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 28-05-2013 at 17:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it's so hard to know what to do. I feel like following his lead which means more solids and don't stress abut the milk but I'm scared of doing he wrong thing by him in the long run. I try and mix in milk where I can, weetbix, homemade custard etc.

He is otherwise a very happy and healthy bub, sleeps well etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is 7 months and still has 5 bottles a day (4 x 180 and 1 x 240 before bed) and 3 meals a day - BLW.

I am totally a follow your baby's lead supporter, but I'd be a bit concerned if DS was only having 400ml's day. I think it's worth cutting down the amount of solids and see if he ups his milk intake. At that age the nutrition they get from breastmilk/formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds started eating very early....he loved food. By 6 months he was offered 3 bottles of formula a day and he also ate brekkie/lunch/dinner. Never had a problem. He lost interest in bottles very quickly and started to put a fight with it. I went with the flow with him and he is fine.