+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hot water system

I need a new hot water system so looking for recommendations/advice - i am completely clueless. Gas boosted solar or instantaneous gas? Things I should consider? Etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    If you get a water storage heating system the water will run out after a little while depending in size eg we bought a 6 month old one off someone and once we had it installed we were restricted to short showers spread apart as our hot water only lasts 10 minutes, 15 max and takes about half an hour to reheat. Its beats having to light it every day like our old one. It had been on deaths door for a while that one. If your in a hurry and a whole family need showers someones in for a cold one with a water storage one.

Go for an instantaneous if you can, unless you want to reduce peoples shower times.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are a family of five so hot water that only lasts 10mins would be a disaster!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes that would be. My Nana has solar and hers runs off a water storage system as well, with a booster of some kind. I remember loving long showers and getting a cold one when I stayed there

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Check out the rinnai infinity instantaneous HWS , we had the 26 on our old house with 2 temp controllers and never a problem. My mum just had her Bosch changed over to the rinnai 16 and it cost about $1100 installed , the 26 which is big enough for a 2 bathroom house is about $1200 including a control with fitting extra. Loved the controllers , if the kids shower too long you can make it go cold lol
    Last edited by lulu 2; 28-05-2013 at 11:26.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got a new hws last year and have been so happy with it. I've got a rinnai instantaneous gas with 3 room controllers (bathroom, kitchen and ensuite). Hot water at your desired temp with a press of a button. Can set a hotter temp (60) in the kitchen for washing dishes. Safer for kids as we normally set our temp at 40 - too low to burn.

Only bad thing is not hot water if the power is out.... This has only happened once so far.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a continuous gas hws and it's great. Not too sure what the difference is with instantaneous but we don't have controllers to change the temp, that doesn't bother us though. What we find is that being able to have two or three showers after each other without running out of hot water is really handy with a family.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulsParadigm For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have a 380litre solar hot water system with an electric booster (only bottled gas here so gas wasn't an option). Love the system ... we are a family of 5 and never have an issue with cold showers. On overcast days I don't need to turn the booster on until we've had a couple of days of cloud cover.

We all shower twice a day and I'm forever chasing the teenager out of the shower , I wash in hot water (but washing machine heats water it doesn't draw from the hot water system) and never an issue with running out of water.

You do have to take into consideration where you are located ... for example we are on the Central Qld Coast, so probably better solar results than those located in say Canberra.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We changed to instant gas. Its great, unlimited hot water and the controller allows us to completely turn it off so we only have it turned on for showers and washing the dishes. Its saved us heaps even though it was about $2000 (should of been 3000 but we knew the bloke who sold it to us and installed it).

Great with the temp control too with the kids, and no fiddling around with hot and cold taps, just turn on the hot and it comes out perfect.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've lived in bottled gas areas for quite a few years now - annoying as they are it makes it easy to compare gas usage house-to-house. Currently we have a traditional family size gas HWS, never run out of hot water, but we only have short showers due to being on tank, and we are getting through more gas than when we lived in a house with an Infinity and would take looooooong showers! So I think they are quite efficient.

I loved the Infinity!! As PPs have said, being able to control the temp is awesome as you can keep it at kid-safe temp all day and then just turn it up when it's time to do the dishes.

Do NOT get an electric instant - HATED the one we had in our last house. You must turn the hot water tap on full to 'trigger' it to switch on (with a loud solenoid click every time!). Plus they don't have any thermostat - the element just heats up - so if the incoming water is cold, you get warm water, if (in summer) the incoming water is already warm, you get scalding hot water. Annoying as we could never get the shower warm enough in winter when you really need it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post: