+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby screams every time I try to put her to sleep

My daughter is 13 weeks old, very occasionally she puts herself to sleep but mostly she has to be rocked to sleep. However every time my husband or I starts to cradle her, she cries and screams for about 3-5 minutes. If I put her up on my shoulder she stops crying, but then we have no chance of getting her to sleep as she just wants to look around at everything. We usually persevere with cradling her and rocking, walking and singing and she eventually calms down but by then she has herself so worked up that there is no chance of being put in the cot awake and we have to rock her all the way to sleep. It doesn't matter how long she's been awake for, e.g. This morning she woke up at 8am and at exactly 9am I gave her a cuddle and slowly dropped her down into my arms and the crying started immediately. I get the same reaction when she's been awake for longer as well!
    Any advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Is it generally after a feed? Could it be a sore tummy? Hugs, i can imagine how stressful it is for you, hopefully it settles soon. How long has it been happening for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's usually about half an hour after her last feed, and I burp her after each feed. Plus she's happy to lay on her back when she's playing.

It's been happening for about the last 3-4 weeks, it seems like she has learned that being held like that means sleep time...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    How does she react if you put her straight into the bassinet?Maybe with a little mobile that plays music or something like that?

No idea if this is helpful or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for trying to help with the troubleshooting! The few times that I can get her to put herself to sleep, I put her down and put the mobile in her cot on, only problem is that it only goes for about 3 minutes and I have to go in and put it on about 3-4 times before she goes to sleep. I have seen a mobile that comes back on as soon as they make a sound but haven't been able to find one to buy. But for this to work, she has to be in the right mood and I haven't yet figured out exactly what that mood is! I try the same thing often but it's only successful about once per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember my son hated being cradled, when he was put in cradle position he thought it was an automatic pass for a boobie feed no matter who was holding him or would just scream. I used to just put him over my shoulder and bop and sway around. He'd be wide awake looking at the world at first but his eyes would get tired and eventually close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS cottoned on to that position = sleep at about the same age!! I just did singing and bum patting until he calmed down, and generally he was asleep from this by the time I lit him down (I never did it for more than 10 mins though). I know it's not the done thing to put them down asleep but it worked for us as I've never left him to cry. Now he is older (11 months) and from about 6 months day sleeps have been much easier! So there is light at the end of the tunnel. I put him down awake now with no issues so it doesn't always create "bad" habits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you feed to sleep? At least for a little while so she doesn't think sleep and cuddling are evil.