+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HippyGirl85 View Post
    Demand feeding (in my knowledge) is feeding whenever bub wants it, regardless of whether it is a snack, comfort or full feed.
    Absolutely this! This is what my DD does. I feel like I'm feeding her all the time but I don't mind, she is happy

Do what feels right for you. There is no way I would feed DD to the clock, but that's just me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thepouts For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never had a routine and bub was demand fed, even once we went to formula at 5 months. I had a very content happy baby who was a wonderful sleeper. Do what feels right to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To me, it means feeding a baby when they want it.

I have demand fed all my babies. I eat when I want, so do my babies.

I even demand fed my DD1 who was formula fed.

I had no idea people put such small babies on a schedule until the mchn visited my house when DD1 was a week or so old. She asked me how many feeds DD1 was having in 24 hours. I told her I wasn't sure, that I didn't count because I just fed when she was hungry and she just said it was a breath of fresh air to hear that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with pp in regards to demand feeding as in feeding every time bub sqwarks whether its for hunger, thirst, comfort, pain relief or just sleep hormones.

I also find nursing is the best way my children went to sleep under 12mths old. And the quickest.

After 6-8mths tho I find bubs regulate themselves a bit better and develop a routine of feeds. My baby will bite me if I try to feed her but she is not hungry.

But growth spurts and illness often revert them back to crazy booby babies. My 11.5mth old dd2 is just recovering from a nasty cold and for the first day in 5 days she ate solids. Otherwise she was attached to the boob.

LMM - I think you are doing fabulously.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    In my experience- just because you don't implement a routine doesn't necessarily mean you won't end up with one. Usually it sneaks in and you have a semi routine and you don't even realise it.
    This is great advice and my experience was the same. Yes, they can be happier with a routine - but not necessarily with "your" routine. DD was demand fed and fed very frequently early on, I was doing everything I could to help my poor supply - but even so, there was no way I could 'stretch' her between feeds (I tried a few times to see if it would help her colic) as she would just end up hysterical.

She also broke so many 'rules', especially with regards to sleep. No expert will tell you that an 8 week old who sleeps 3x15-20min naps a day (fed/rocked to sleep) will boobie-nurse to sleep at night can sleep for 8 hours stirring occasionally and self settling ... but she did! Each bubba is so unique and even 'expert' advice may need adjusting for your bub.