+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler tantrums on waking after sleep

Just wondering if anyone else deals with this issue and if so what approach have you found works for you.

I have a 2 yo who if he has a day nap will wake up very angry/upset and can tantrum for 2.5-3 hours after a sleep. Everything will be a trigger for him and virtually nothing I say or do will calm him down. I keep him up during the day, but dread him falling asleep in the car. he's worse if u wake him up (ie the screaming and intensity of it all is stronger, but still very bad if wakes up on his own).

He can also behave this way if woken up in the morning. It can't just be a stage as its been going in since before he was 1 and I've tried so many methods to try and help him calm down as its horrible to see him so upset, now I just try and avoid him day sleeping, but sometimes he still needs it - anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my son is 2 and is very cranky sheen we wakes up. He needs lots of cuddles and usually takes him half an hour or so to come right again. Its very annoying if I am waiting for him to wake up to go out somewhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When he wakes not sheen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2 year old does it too!!! As shes getting closer and closer to 3 its wearing off a bit... (She can still be a monster) but the likelihood of it happening everyday isn't the case, i put it down to not finishing a sleep cycle, wether they were awoken by something (barking dog, or other noise) or if you had too awake them for something i just blamed sleep cycle. And thought.. Well... I guess i feel like cr@p when i wake, but i have the ability to know how to control it! Lol

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LollyDolly View Post
    Yes my son is 2 and is very cranky sheen we wakes up. He needs lots of cuddles and usually takes him half an hour or so to come right again. Its very annoying if I am waiting for him to wake up to go out somewhere!
    This is my DD exactly! Whether after an hour nap or 3 hour nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad I'm not alone. Although 30mins I could deal with, it's the hours I struggle with lol. I would also find it easier if I could offer comfort, but cuddling him doesn't work and can make his screaming more intense

Oh well, we'll just keep soldiering on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh OP , this was my toddler not long ago. It started around 18 months I think (peaked at around 2), and he would go into full on tantrums after waking from his day naps, and sometimes in the mornings aswell - it usually lasted around 1/2 hour, but could often go on for much longer and nothing I did helped. He didn't want cuddles, he didn't want to be left alone - I basically just had to make sure he was in a safe space and wait until he was ready to come out of it. It wasn't your normal tantrum either - it was like the lights were on, but no-one was home. He would be absolutely hysterical.

I started a thread on here about it (here if you want to have a read http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...s-in-hysterics), and lots thought it was possibly some sort of night terror type thing. I'm not sure, but he eventually stopped doing it. One thing that sometimes helped a little was going into him when he woke with one of his favourite toys. Other than that, nothing I did helped at all (and I tried everything under the sun!).

He's now nearly 2.5 and we don't get the major tantrums after waking, but he does wake up verrry grumpy, and often the tiniest things will set him off. I hope your LO grows out of it soon, I know how horrible it can be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

shy  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 yo does it too, but for a much shorter time after waking - about 15-30 mins. He is very cranky after about 3/4 of day-sleeps and will often have a full-scale meltdown. But apparently OK at daycare after his sleep! He's been like this for at least 6m. I have tried lots of different strategies - playing with lego in his room with the light off (worked a few days till the novelty wore off), just cuddling and stroking his back (sometimes he actively wants this, other times will push you away), distraction w the computer (googling images of whatever he is into at the moment) - this has been the best strategy so far. I think it must be due to the stage of sleep he wakes from, as sometimes he is fine after his sleep - and no relation to sleep length.
    I feel for you as I would struggle if it went on for a couple of hrs.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS almost always wakes up cranky from his nap. I have tried *everything*, but the only thing that calms him down is watching a bit of Peppa Pig Sorry!