+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How does this work...

I'm going to try to write this as best i can with out sounding rude or ungrateful, I'm sure really not sure what the unwritten rule is...

On Saturday, my 9 year old was up the street playing with her friend, sometime later i get a knock at the door, its the mum of her friend...

The mum says she accidentally ran over my daughters scooter and broke it, and that she would replace it.

No dramas I said, in the meantime she lent my daughter her sons scooter. Thats kind of her I thought.

The next day the friend comes by in the afternoon and announces shes been to the shops. I wont lie, I was thinking perhaps her mum would drop by with the replacement scooter.. Nothing...

Anyway later on in the day there was a knock on the door and the boy wanted his scooter back.. (Not sure if he saw it inside the door and decided to take it back or if it was prompted by his mum to get it back i don't know) arguing started to break out, as my daughter knew the mum said she could use it until a replacement was given.. Any-who, i made my daughter give it back...to avoid further arguing.

So now she has no scooter of her own and no scooter shes borrowing.

I haven't seen the little friend of hers either since that day so i'm starting to think a replacement wont happen either..

What do I do? How long is adequate to wait for a replacement? Or am I being silly to think there will be one?

I don't really know how this kind of thing works...

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it possible the mum just needs to wait till she has more money? I've got no idea how much they cost, just a thought

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't hold your breathe for a replacement

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Tbh if my kids left their toys behind a car and it got run over then too bad so sad for them. Unless the lady drove up onto the curb and mowed the scooter down on purpose I don't think it's up to her to replace it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

CicerFabaceaexxxx  (30-05-2013),Donnab739  (28-05-2013),Mathermy  (28-05-2013),Raising Leprechauns  (04-06-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-05-2013),SassyMummy  (28-05-2013),tubster  (29-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a tough one. Now that her boy has his scooter back, there is less urgency on her part to purchase the replacement scooter.

I'd give it a couple of days to see if she keeps her word - if you don't hear from her, maybe gently ask her about it?

She said she would replace it, so I don't think it would be out of line for you to follow up on it.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think someone had a word to her and told her it's not her fault.

Was the scooter particularly expensive? Reason l ask is that maybe she has realised how expensive your daughter's is and has changed her mind about replacing it. I know some kid's scooters are well over $100

I doubt you're going to get that replacement scooter.

Where was the scooter when it got run over? And was it upright or lying on the ground?

If the scooter was outside your property or lying across the driveway then l don't think the boy's mother should replace the scooter and l would have a word to my child about being responsible for their own property and choosing a better place to put their belongings

Sent from my GT-I9000 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Night Owl; 28-05-2013 at 08:41.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (28-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea I don't think she's replacing that scooter anytime soon..

This could be a good lesson for looking after your possessions for your DD though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

Twoalready  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies.
    Scooter was not expensive (thankfully) was bought in december (both her bday and xmas is in dec so she doesn't get big items like this until the end of the year)

I've thought the same with regards to my daughter leaving it around to be ran over in the first place, and 'tough noogies' shouldn't left it around to be broken.

But then in the same breathe i would have liked her to have seen two adults coming to a agreement about a broken belonging, and how it was replaced, also teaching her the consequence of, if you break something you must pay to have it repaired/replaced.

In the end its not a big deal, i can replace it with about $30 of I'm lucky i might find another on sale.

I just didn't want to end up with the mum actually following through and in the meantime i buy one..

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    casually bring it up I mean she did offer in the first place you will porbably get an excuse that she forgot, didn't have the money etc. And which case you'll know its not going to be replaced and if you want to can replace it yourself.

Don't be afraid to bring it up though, no harm in asking.

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it would depend on where the scooter was at the time and how it happened but generally I wouldn't have expected her to replace it.

BUT having said that, I'd be ****ed if she said she was going to replace it and then didn't. I hate lying and dishonesty so while I would have been perfectly accepting if she had said she didn't have the money or if she just didn't offer in the first place but to lie about it would make me really angry. Maybe that's just me though