+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Allie Pallie wasn't describing controlled crying.

Anyway, at this age my DS would only sleep in a wrap carrier, or me bouncy on a Pilates ball. But wasn't feasible at night so we had to get him to fall asleep in the crib. I also felt that he was getting annoyed at me. He would cry a bit and would have to pick him up to calm down and I realised he actually needed to cry for a couple of minutes. I couldn't tell his different cries at the time so I needed to let him go for a minute to see if he was just trying to get himself to sleep.

Lots of patting and shushing was involved. I also use white noise. I use an app on my iPad.

A good wind down routine is good too. Back then we would wrap in a double swaddle, close the blinds, sing a lullaby while watching a night light then put him down.

It does take time as they learn that when you do this routine it is sleep time. I did it before every nap and for bedtime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Put a hot water bottle in crib and move when you but bubs down then it's nice and warm and cosey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's really important to remember that bubs is still only 6 weeks new to the world outside his lovely home that he loved for 9 whole months. That home was as close to you as humanly possible, temperature controlled with the built in rocking motions that babies seem to adore.

from an evolutionary perspective babies are instinctively prone to waking and crying when they sense that they are away from their favourite safe place, you. From an evolutionary perspective this kept them safe from harm! Bubs really has no way of knowing that his cot is safe and that you are not far, when every instinct in his body tells him otherwise.

Knowing these things helps me to be more patient while waiting for bubs to transition and helps remind me that it's not anything abnormal that need necessarily be 'fixed'.

I was reading recently that babies sleep cycles are different to ours and sometimes we move them before they have had time to truly drift into a deep enough sleep. I wonder if you could try cuddling for longer before putting bubs down? I know how tempting it is to pop them down when you feel like they've been attached all day though. It's like sleeping baby, I'm free! (For twenty minutes lol).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (30-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    I'm not suggesting controlled crying, just giving bubs a chance to put themselves to sleep for a short window. 2-3 minutes of crying isn't too long and if it doesn't work, go in and help bubs to get to sleep and don't leave until they are asleep.

Some babies at that age can put themselves to sleep, not many I know but it is possible, so worth a try in my mind. In fact I'd imagine more babies could do it if parents just tried for a tiny window of time. But that's just me, I know it's not for everyone.
    I'm sorry but leaving your children to cry but coming back is controlled crying. And at 6wks old even 1min of crying can escalate cortisol to dangerous levels.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spratty View Post
    Can anyone give some advice on getting my 6 week old boy to sleep in his crib! He will be fast asleep on my chest and as soon as I put him down, he screams.. This is occurring day and night and this is one tired mummy!!

he is only 6 weeks old, is there a reason why you cant hold him while he sleeps? nap beside him or on the couch together? even in a baby sling so he's still very close to you if you have other kids. It's only his instincts that he is wanting to be close to you. At this age he is learning trust. He needs to feel secure and know you will always be there for him.
    From about 4mths you can start swaddling him tight and trying his naps in the cot/bassenette, he is likley to be more successful at self settling after he has gained your trust. So please dont let him cry.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 30-05-2013 at 13:45.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Babies have a lot more REM sleep than adults and wake easily. Which is a GOOD thing! Babies that don't wake easily are more prone to sids.

You can't force a baby to sleep but you can make a good environment for it. Eg. Wrapping them so they feel secure, making it dark, patting, rocking, white noise helps my son most of the time.

Not everything works for all babies and sometimes they really do just want you to hold them even if it isn't always convenient just use it as a chance for you to get some rest too.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Controlled crying is when you set numerous intervals that get longer and longer, that's not what I suggested, so don't put a false title on it. People are against controlled crying and cry it out and I understand that and the reasons, but giving your baby at least a small chance of 2-3 minutes to learn an important skill isn't the same thing.

either way OP, there are some great suggestions on here, give them all a go if you're comfortable with them and see what works for your individual baby. What works for one may not work for another.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 30-05-2013 at 15:13. Reason: Typos -predicted text