+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Choosing how to feed baby no2...

Im currently ttc number 2. But this keeps popping in my head and bugging me. (And sorry if this is in the wrong section)

When i think about it i feel that I should feed no2 the same way as dd to make it fair (expressing and formula feeding) I expressed until DD was 6mo, but only was getting enough milk for 1 feed other feeds were formula.
    then I think, pfft that's so stupid, if I can bf no2 then I should go for it!
    And then I think, 1 bottle a day? Is it even worth expressing for 1 bottle (this wasn't just 1 sitting I had to pump several times to make 1bottle) if I can bf ill just go all formula.

I just can't stop thinking about this, stupid I know (especially when we are still ttc!!) :@

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would see how you go with this bub but be prepared for either. I had the same issues with my first born. I had a pph & was very sick for 3 months & my milk didn't come in. I struggled for months expressing. My second birth was completely different & had heaps of milk. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to produce milk but my body knew what to do second time round & got on with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
    I would see how you go with this bub but be prepared for either. I had the same issues with my first born. I had a pph & was very sick for 3 months & my milk didn't come in. I struggled for months expressing. My second birth was completely different & had heaps of milk. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to produce milk but my body knew what to do second time round & got on with it.
    Thanks gives me some hope that this time maybe different!
    I really just best to leave it and stop stressing til the time comes!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trying4no2 For This Useful Post:

Lennie  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Any bm, even one feed a day, is beneficial. Good on you for doing that for your first! I had to ff my first, and DD2 was comp fed with formula for the first 4 months due to low supply, but at 8 months still is bf :smiledance:
    I say, go into it with an open mind, and come on here whenever you need advice and support- there's lots of it here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    It's not silly to think about it now at all!

We are TTC #2 as well and I think about it all, feeding, settling, routines etc

i think if you want to bf, give it a go. If it works for you both, great! If not you know there's always formula. That's what I'm planning. And your first wont even know you've fed them differently.

my poor DD is cows milk protein intolerant but I persisted with bf as I felt pressure to continue (hated feeling like formula was evil - though I knew it wasn't) not realising it was making her reflux worse. She has been on soy formula ever since and is far better off on formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely not silly! When I was TTC #2 I thought about it constantly as I only made it to 6 weeks with my first. I had it in my head that I would give BF'ing a go and if it didn't work out no harm done.

Well my DS2 was a feeding champ and has only just weaned himself last week (almost 16 months). I'm glad I kept an open mind and just took it as it came.

Good luck with TTC and whatever you decide to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is interesting to hear! Trying I could have written your post word for word! I bf, formula top up, and pumped every 3 hours initially, then several times a day for 6 months with ds'..on a great day I would pump a total of 110mls, enough for one feed per day.

we are also ttc #2, and it's been playing on my mind! I just plan to go in armed with my medela swing, a bottle, formula and the heavenly lansinoh! And see what happens.

It tore me up not having ds exclusively bf, it really did....I'm not going to let myself get like that this time I would cry each time he happily sucked on a bottle. (we were readmitted to hospital when he was 6 days old (he lost 17k% of his birth weight), we had x amount of hours for him to take a certain amount of milk, or they were going to give him a nasal gastric tube, which upset me even more!

I'm also going in with that 6 months of experience, dedication and knowledge too!