+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preparing a first time father...

As my user name states I am expecting my 4th bundle of joy. My first three children are to my ex partner and at the time of my first he had already had a son, do he was teaching me the ropes on everything pregnancy, birth motherhood. Now, this time is different as for my partner this bubs will be his first.

What is the best/easiest way to prepare him for the up and coming birth?

I have been taking him to Coles and Woolworths trying to show him things we will need. Tried explaining about all tests/scans I will need but I am can't help but wonder that there could be more I should be helping him with.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations on your baby I've seen some books at big w for first time dads, some of them are written in a humorous tone, rather than super serious, so that might be of interest to him, or ebooks if he has a smart phone or ipad. I reckon aussie books would be better, so he isn't given any info that doesn't apply.

I've been watching a show on abc2 called "don't just stand there, I'm having your baby" it prepares first time fathers for birth, you could probably find it on iview (catch up tv for abc)

Hope this helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

expectingnumber4  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much for that. I will def look into it in the morning and key you know how I go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you really need to do that much to prepare him, honestly. I'm about to be a first time mum and my partner will be a first time dad. I have no way to prepare him because I'm in the same boat. But I suspect we will work things out as we go.

Your partner already has the advantage of (I assume) spending time with your other children so he's probably got a head start on most new dads already

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    He might benefit from attending an antenatal class with you so he knows what to expect from labour and birth, and he can support you during that time in whatever way you need him to.

Also my hubby read a book called "Man with a pram" which is written by men, for men, and he was even referring to it while I was in labour, so he found it to be helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Antenatal classes for sure! This is for his benefit as much as yours! Definitely take him along to those!

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Antenatal classes and a book called 'being Dad'

Really light hearted but informative. It has sections for the man and a woman to read. I found it better than what to expect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pure Bar in Subiaco, Perth host "beer and bubs" every few months. It is run by a lady who does antenatal classes. She gives info for guys and the what to say and what not to say to your pregnant or laboring wife.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kelbel86 For This Useful Post:

mellie6  (06-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get the "Happiest Baby on the Block" DVD. I watched it with DH before we had our baby and he learnt so much about settling a baby (swaddling, and making a constant shhhh sound worked best). It was such a huge help having him be able to settle bub after a night feed when I was just exhausted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend gave my DH an inspirational book "Daddy Cool", it's full of quotes. Won't help with the birth, but I think it really help cement his parenting style & why being a dad was so important.