+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Lidcombe Program for stuttering

DS,who is 4,has a mild stutter with certain words...we've been seeing the public speech therapist and we have been given the Lidcombe program to follow which involves positive praise and acknowledgment of "smooth and bumpy talking" during structured and unstructured play for our homework. I have to rate his daily talking on a scale of 1-10 each day.

We've been doing this for a few months now and DS isn't really showing signs of improvement...well there has been some improvement but not as much as the therapist thinks he should have had.......during the homework his talking is almost always excellent,but during the course of the day he will still have "bumpy talking" ie stuttering...I'm just wondering if anyone else's little one does this program and have had success?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is also 4 and we've been following the program since march this year. His talking has gone from around a 7 to a 3 but doesn't seem to be improving anymore. We are having a break from the sessions at the moment and continuing with the homework to see how he progresses. What rating is your DS now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Pippa
    I've been rating my son at a 3 or 4 daily....he had a bad day last week which I rated as a 6,that's the highest I've thought he should be rated.
    It seems to be worse when he is tired or has a lot to say,and he only stutters certain words.
    He has a few problems saying certain sounds too,and is sometimes a little unclear in his general speech,but the therapist said she'd like to get on top of the stuttering first,then work on his sounds,as apparently the stuttering is harder to fix.
    He starts school next year and I'm hoping we can get him speaking well before then.
    Sounds like the program has worked for your son,getting him down to a 3 is great! What sort of things do you do for the structured play? I need some fresh ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a fast decline and then seemed to stall a bit on the lower numbers. My DS also struggles on longer bits of speech so we have started getting him to either describe things, give instructions or tell a story,

For describing things we choose 5 toys and discuss them. Then hide them and we take it in turns to choose a toy and describe it so the other person can guess what it is.

Giving instructions came be anything from how to put the washing machine on, to how to make a sandwich. DS enjoys this one as he gets to tell me what to do!!

Telling a story can be what he did during the day.

We practise one of these during the day and then when DH comes home from work, he has to tell him without any bumps. This has worked quite well so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those are great ideas,thanks
    I hope the program starts to work for your son again, Good luck!