+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did having children change your thoughts about your job/career?

A bit of background (sorry if this is long):

I graduated from uni 4 years ago and have not really done much in that time I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue on with this career path, so I really just bummed around in different jobs until I got sick of it and went and did something else. Whilst I loved doing something different, we realised we wanted to try for a baby and I wanted the stable and better income. So I'm back into my original career path.

Now, I need to do extra study to get anywhere in this career and I plan on starting this on maternity leave. But I'm worried that having a baby will change my mind on how I feel about my chosen career or maybe that I might want to be a SAHM and just do some sort of work a couple of days a week (not an option in my current job). Then this study will be a waste of time and money (and I've done enough of that already!!).

I'd like to hear about how you felt about your career path or job once you had babies. Did it make you more ambitious? Did it make you realise it's just a job and there are more important things out there? The rational side of my brain says to not worry about study just yet, but the thing is my job is not 100% secure so if I need to look for another job afte mat leave then I'll need to have started this study to show prospective employers I'm serious, if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a lot of things come down to where you want to be in 5-10 years time? Do you plan on having more children? How many more?
    For me I had a successful career before children and could of gone far but once DD1 came along none of that mattered. I went back to work once I had her but it was more a matter of money at the time and we wanted a 2nd child very close. i didn't enjoy my work anymore but I did enjoy the adult interaction. I now have 4 DD's, am a SAHM and have no plans to go back.
    This is obviously my example of work but for you once baby arrives you might find you have more of a career drive and take up the extra studies or further your career. IMO i'd wait it out until your LO is here and go from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a baby completely changed my view on my career.

Pre-baby I was in marketing/PR. I didn't really like it, but I had the degree so I thought I may as well use it.

When ds was born I knew I wouldn't be going back to that. I knew I wanted to have a career, but in order for me to sacrifice time with my child it had to be somthing I loved. I went back to uni (originally just online units and part-time) when ds was 8 months old.

I am now in my 3rd year of speech pathology and I couldn't be happier with my decision to go back and study. I love it, and I think it is a huge bonus that I will be able to work more child-friendly hours when I graduate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been working full time as a public servant for 9 1/2 years - expecting first child at the end of August.

To be totally honest, I have never been very driven in my career - I have stayed with the same employer due to flexibility and good leave/conditions that suit my lifestyle. I haven't tried to climb the ladder, quite content where I am responsibility wise and earn enough to be comfortable. I could do big things if I wanted to (was very driven academically) but I don't feel that same motivation in the workforce. Home, family and my animals are where my heart and motivation lies.

Before we started TTC, I explored options for work I could do from home. I now have qualifications as a sports coach (horse riding) and teach on a freelance basis on weekends and out of hours. It is still in the 'hobby' stage at the moment, but after we've had our family, there may be the opportunity to expand and make it my career. Horses are my passion, so being able to make something I love into a career appeals to me. It is also something that I can do in the hours when DH is not at work, reducing need for child care.

Career wise, I hope to return to my Govt job part time until our youngest child is at school (we intend on having 2 children, but realise that could change depending on circumstances). If I ever get pressured to go full time again, that could be the catalyst for me resigning and just pursuing my own business and being a mum.

There's so much more to life than working for someone else, but I have only truly appreciated this as we've started our journey to have a family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm still as career oriented as I was and couldn't think of anything worse than being a SAHM long term.

I am realistic about my career now that I work part-time (which I love and am grateful for!) and know that I won't get promoted or be able to take on as much project work as I used to, even though I enjoy it. But that's ok as for now I am happy with the level I am at and not looking for progression in the next 2-3 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone I'm really enjoying reading these posts! Please keep them coming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been in my job for 7.5 yrs & do enjoy it although often stressful with budgets etc. I have a 4yr old DS & 11 month old DD & would like nothing more than to work part time but financially we can't. I could never be a SAHM full time though. My priorities are my family and sadly at times they take a back seat toy job. But on the flip side my job is very flexible & I can work from home sometimes so I will prob just stay be side of the convenience although its not my passion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'm still as career oriented as I was and couldn't think of anything worse than being a SAHM long term.

I am realistic about my career now that I work part-time (which I love and am grateful for!) and know that I won't get promoted or be able to take on as much project work as I used to, even though I enjoy it. But that's ok as for now I am happy with the level I am at and not looking for progression in the next 2-3 years.
    This sums me up perfectly. I have a Masters in my field, so to give up work and stay home permanently was never likely to happen.

I understand that while I have small children, the mega-career isn't an option. I'm happy to hold my place for a few years and then see how i'm going once the girls are a bit older.

That said - i understood from an early point in my relationship with DH that he would have the "career" and i would be responsible for the family side of things. My earning potential is about 1/4-1/5 of his.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babycart For This Useful Post:

kw123  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do my job for the money! That's been the case for the last 5 years! 😏 Am having my 1st this year and will take 1 year off before having to go back for financial reasons. My reality is that I'm always going to have to work, in that case, I want a fulfilling career. So a career change is in order & I started part time study a few years ago to achieve that.

Maybe 'fulfilment' is worth considering and that might help you decide whether to keep studying?

I'm far from 'career motivated' but if I have to work, I want it to be meaningful for the time that I'm there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    After my DS's I wanted to become a midwife! I never had this as a career thought at ALL!!!

Next year I will finish my registered nurse degree and then when our DD is older I will start my mid course. There are a lot of practical hours so not something I want to do when she is little. Probably when she is 3.

I worked in childcare and hospitality before my kids. I still have done the odd bit since. I have lost interest in other peoples children now I have my own.