+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    This is true. Also, I asked my midwife about the Hep B, because we couldn't see how it was necessary for a newborn. She said it was cheaper and less controversial for all newborns to receive it at birth than for hospitals to invest time and money into identifying 'at risk' parents to test for Hep B then vaccinate their babies only. I hope that makes sense.
    it is also used to get babies on the immunisation register. as most babies are born in hospitals/birth centres, it is most efficient way of capturing greatest number of babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Typical anti vaxxer, take one tiny piece of information and run with it, like it somehow proves your point.

That is one vaccination, none of the others have shown any kind of links. Why don't you mention to your anti vaxx cronies that VPDs cause autoimmune diseases...which is well documented.
    why do you keep personal attacking me? I have stated to you before that i am not anti vax. i just don't like misinformation. You keep saying it is about the science, so let's keep to the science and keep the personal comments out of it.

And just fyi, i have received the most AVN info from your posts. I have never actually looked them up, because it is not an interest of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Can you explain this argument further? Are you saying that because administering a vaccine (with only a small risk of a resultant autoimmune disease) protects against the disease, the person is further protected against autoimmune disease resulting from actually having the disease (where the risk is higher)?
    So if you catch Measles then you have a 1 in 5000 chance of getting one certain autoimmune disease, but if you get vaccinated for it then you have a 1 in 30,000 chance in getting it. ie, you have less of a chance of getting autoimmune disease from the vaccination than you do the wild virus.

Of course anti vaxxer argue that we don't have measles here anymore, but lets face it, it is only a matter of time, our vaccination rates a dropping, and all one needs to do is look at the rest of the Western world right now, there are all kinds of VPD epidemics all over the place right now. And our vax rates are almost the same as Liverpool, and they had a measles epidemic in 2011.

I've actually come around in my thinking, I actually want there to be an epidemic of something here, I think we need it. Me and my family will be well protected, and I think the anti vax movement needs to actually see what happens when a disease takes hold due to lack of vaccinations. A kick up the bum if you like. A famous quote re vaccinations is "vaccines are a victim of their own success" - that is just so true. 50 years ago no one questioned whether or not to vax, because polio was rife and completely devastating.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is also used to get babies on the immunisation register. as most babies are born in hospitals/birth centres, it is most efficient way of capturing greatest number of babies.
    Wouldn't registering your baby with Medicare put them on the immunisation register? When I give the birth hep B vaxx in hospital, the only place I record it is in the baby's child health red book and on our data collection form for the home visiting midwives - none of which that information goes to Medicare/immunisation register (as far as I know, but I can't see how it would)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    why do you keep personal attacking me? I have stated to you before that i am not anti vax. i just don't like misinformation. You keep saying it is about the science, so let's keep to the science and keep the personal comments out of it.

And just fyi, i have received the most AVN info from your posts. I have never actually looked them up, because it is not an interest of mine.
    Sorry, I apologise. But from your posts it seems that you are anti vax. You may not see yourself that way, but that is the way you come across. I do get annoyed with the whole anti vax moment, but I will keep the personal digs out of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was banned from their page for saying that I actually thought that "yes, guns and gun laws have something to do with all the gun massacres in America". Oh yes, that really annoyed them, you see, they don't believe that guns have anything to do with mass gun massacres. And they don't like when someone points out the stats that prove that they do

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Not sure- when I asked for further info I was banned from the AVN Facebook page

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    So if you catch Measles then you have a 1 in 5000 chance of getting one certain autoimmune disease, but if you get vaccinated for it then you have a 1 in 30,000 chance in getting it. ie, you have less of a chance of getting autoimmune disease from the vaccination than you do the wild virus.
    The only problem with that is you also have to calculate the chance of getting measles first.

However, i went looking for the article you mentioned, and while i didn't find it, i found others that didn't find a link between vaccination and the autoimmune disease in question, so maybe the jury is still out.

I think an epidemic of something may cause people who 'forget' to vaccinate to suddenly remember, but i don't think it will change much for those who strongly don't believe in vaccination or believe that vaccination is harmful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know, that doesn't seem to be happening in Wales at the moment, anti vaxxers that decided not to vaccinate due to the unfounded belief that vaccines cause autism are lining up in droves to have their children vaccinated. I am not sure anyone knows for sure what would happened if faced with an epidemic, but I suspect that a lot of anti vaxxers would choose to do it, especially the ones who talk about risk rations etc.

The only problem with that is you also have to calculate the chance of getting measles first.

However, i went looking for the article you mentioned, and while i didn't find it, i found others that didn't find a link between vaccination and the autoimmune disease in question, so maybe the jury is still out.

I think an epidemic of something may cause people who 'forget' to vaccinate to suddenly remember, but i don't think it will change much for those who strongly don't believe in vaccination or believe that vaccination is harmful.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Wouldn't registering your baby with Medicare put them on the immunisation register? When I give the birth hep B vaxx in hospital, the only place I record it is in the baby's child health red book and on our data collection form for the home visiting midwives - none of which that information goes to Medicare/immunisation register (as far as I know, but I can't see how it would)
    Yes it must, DD was freeborn at home and has never needed to see a doctor or nurse (she doesnt have one of those child health books) and I received a letter when she turned 18mths saying I need to make sure her vaccination status is up to date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    It would be heartbreaking for newborns too young to be vaccinated and children of anti vaxers suffer / die. They are complete innocents.
    Yes, true, you are right. I forgot about the newborns. Sigh, but I suspect it won't come down to if it will happen, but rather when it will happen. It is not looking good anywhere else, and I think we think we are safer than we really are because we don't border other countries..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (09-06-2013)