+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 111
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,491
    Thanks
    3,580
    Thanked
    838
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    If you were to go with this theory (and it is still just a theory), then let me ask you, it is known that VPDs can actually trigger autoimmune diseases, and they don't do much other than provide immunity and cause death and complications. Whereas vaccines may or may not cause autoimmune diseases, but save millions of lives every year, and save people getting sick. Yeah - they deffo sound like the worse of the two to me. Not.
    So, if it is known that VPDs can cause autoimmune diseases, why is it not possible that vaccines to these VPDs may also cause autoimmune disease?

    I am not questioning the balance of benefits and risks of vaccinating or not vaccinating, but exploring the claim that autoimmune disease may or may not be triggered by vaccines.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just added something to my post that explains that, sorry, I had to go find the paper and copy it.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked
    1,571
    Reviews
    12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Meryl Dorey herself also told me that SIDS did not exist before vaccination :rollseyes:
    Hahaha ... So how does she explain that with time the incidence of SIDS has dramatically decreased, but the rate of vaccination has increased?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-06-2013),jellybeanicecream  (09-06-2013)

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,491
    Thanks
    3,580
    Thanked
    838
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    'Autoimmune thrombocytopenia has been described after measles vaccination, but with a much lower frequency than that seen after wild measles virus infection (one in 30 000 vs one in 5000)'
    So, therefore the claim that vaccines can cause autoimmune disease has been shown to be true in a peer reviewed published article.

    Thanks

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Hahaha ... So how does she explain that with time the incidence of SIDS has dramatically decreased, but the rate of vaccination has increased?
    Not sure- when I asked for further info I was banned from the AVN Facebook page

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-06-2013),Boobycino  (09-06-2013),CakeyMumma  (09-06-2013),dancingchipmunk  (13-06-2013)

  8. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    So, therefore the claim that vaccines can cause autoimmune disease has been shown to be true in a peer reviewed published article.

    Thanks
    Did you read the rest of the post though???

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-06-2013)

  10. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,491
    Thanks
    3,580
    Thanked
    838
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Did you read the rest of the post though???
    I did. I thought this thread was about exploring the claims that have been made. The decision with what you do with that information is separate. However, as you have asked i will address the rest of Beeb's post.

    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    This absolutely makes sense, because in a vaccination the amount of anitbodies that you get are FAR less than from the actual disease.
    i agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    So yes - win/win, again. It provides both safety against the disease and the autoimmune disease that the disease can cause.
    Can you explain this argument further? Are you saying that because administering a vaccine (with only a small risk of a resultant autoimmune disease) protects against the disease, the person is further protected against autoimmune disease resulting from actually having the disease (where the risk is higher)?
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 09-06-2013 at 10:57.

  11. #58
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,997
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,895
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think it is for the Aboriginal population (from what I've read), I have a feeling it is so they can't be seen to be discriminating....I could be wrong. But why else, when you read about it, it always points to the high number of infections among the Aboriginal communities?
    This is true. Also, I asked my midwife about the Hep B, because we couldn't see how it was necessary for a newborn. She said it was cheaper and less controversial for all newborns to receive it at birth than for hospitals to invest time and money into identifying 'at risk' parents to test for Hep B then vaccinate their babies only. I hope that makes sense.

  12. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think it is for the Aboriginal population (from what I've read), I have a feeling it is so they can't be seen to be discriminating....I could be wrong. But why else, when you read about it, it always points to the high number of infections among the Aboriginal communities?
    Mmmmm we offer TB vax at birth to babies from high risk population groups - aboriginal, Torres Strait, Asia, Africa so don't know if it's a discrimination point of view and there are extra vaxxes on the schedule specifically for ATSI children

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    This is true. Also, I asked my midwife about the Hep B, because we couldn't see how it was necessary for a newborn. She said it was cheaper and less controversial for all newborns to receive it at birth than for hospitals to invest time and money into identifying 'at risk' parents to test for Hep B then vaccinate their babies only. I hope that makes sense.
    I know the QLD health information leaflet says "you don't know who has hepatitis B" so therefore your baby should have it. Haha that probably wouldn't surprise me. Like I said I'm not against the hep b doses at 2, 4, 6 months (or whenever it is that you get them after birth), and I can't think of adverse outcomes it would cause to have it at birth, I'm just trying to figure out why.

    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    I was told that the Hep B at birth was to protect the baby against Hep B from the mother. When DS was born in 1997, it was only on the schedule for groups deemed as high risk ie Aboriginals. Something changed as when DD1 was born in 2000 the schedule had been updated, and it was recommended for everyone.
    Hep B immunoglobulin is given to babies with Hep B positive mothers at birth to prevent hep b along with the hep b vax. Transmission of mother to baby is likely to occur at birth as the baby passes through the vagina and is exposed to the mothers blood there, so a vaccination after the fact isn't going to do much. Can't be transferred through breastfeeding or saliva though.

  13. #60
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Typical anti vaxxer, take one tiny piece of information and run with it, like it somehow proves your point.

    That is one vaccination, none of the others have shown any kind of links. Why don't you mention to your anti vaxx cronies that VPDs cause autoimmune diseases...which is well documented.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    So, therefore the claim that vaccines can cause autoimmune disease has been shown to be true in a peer reviewed published article.

    Thanks


 

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone familiar with Small Claims Tribunal process??
    By Night Owl in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-04-2013, 15:40
  2. Flu vaccines?
    By tubster in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17-01-2013, 06:14
  3. Useful Info for Obstetrician Medicare Claims
    By HunnyBunch in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-10-2012, 17:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!