+ Reply to Thread
    Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Has your little one had an MRI? Really need some reassurance

So my 3.2year old has been complaining of a sore back for months. He always holds it in the same spot (left lower)We went to our GP and he sent him for x-ray and ultrasound to check his spine, bladder, kidneys etc and all was fine. He referred us to a paediatrician and she did a truckload of blood tests and they came back fine too, but he still complains about it and gets distressed. The paediatrician suggested we put him on the watlist for an MRI and within the few months it should take we could assess it and if it was still happening, go ahead. Well the MRI is next week and I am starting to freak out. Freakingout about them putting him under general anesthetic, freaking out about them finding something sinister (my Dad recently had a tumor on his spine and the xray missed it, they only found it when e had an MRI) freaking out about them finding nothing and him still being in pain, freaking out about fasting all day (he is booked for 3pm!). So would love some reassurance from anyone who has been down that track please...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry you've got to go through this My DD has had quite a few (she's now almost 7 and awaiting another).

I really think us parents take it worse that the littlies!

An Mri Ga will be quick, so thats a positive. What hospital will he be at? At the RCH in Brisbane they do it all through the imaging department which is a lot calmer for the kids (still scary for them though i guess). He should be able to play and keep occupied until he's called, so that will help with the fasting.

Good luck

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the words of support. He will be at John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle. I am hoping it is quick! Question - when they wake up from anesthetic are they freaked out? I remember when I came out of anesthetic it was bizarre (first and only time I was 25) and my throat hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son has but he had is at 8 yrs so a little different. Good luck with it all, Im sure they know exactly how your little one will be and make allowances etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had a GA for grommets at 15 months and was crying when he woke up, then when I picked him up he stopped crying straight away and was happy as soon as he ate. He was up & walking around within the hour without any issues. I would guess that a GA for an MRI might even be shorter than for grommets, so your ds should be fine from that perspective.

It's normal to worry about tests finding things and not finding things, but without doing the test you'll never know. I hope it is over & done with nice & quickly and that you get some answers to the chronic pain which doesn't sound like much fun at all!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on how they go into the GA Ive been told. If they get really upset while being knocked out, they're more likely to freak out when they come to. But if the recovery team think you son is too upset, they will call you into recovery to calm him. They usually dont if everything is fine.
    My daughters had more GA's than i can count and I was never asked to go into recovery.