+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Success has meant different things to me at different stages in my life. When I was young it was being independent and self reliant, materialistic pursuits like nice things, travel, great career etc. As I got older it became more about being a good person, companionship and finding happiness within myself.

Now with 2 toddlers it's managing to have a shower and keep my kids alive . If I manage those 2 things every day then that's success to me!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd have to say success is achieved if you're truly content and reach any goal/goals you have in life. It's very individual, I consider myself successful (most probably wouldn't given my lack of career, own home, and a much older car lol).

I don't really think of other people as successful or not by their obvious achievements. I think it's something that you can only judge for yourself (although I have thought of others as doing well lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (27-05-2013),Rarity  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A successful person to me is someone that has achieved, through trying, a healthy balanced life. Which in my view is based on contentment with their career, relationships and family. If that person is also an active citizen, then BAM, they've got it all in my book!

Wealth & status are completely irrelevant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good thread OP!

DH are and I were just talking about this on the weekend, after we had an interesting discussion with BIL and SIL about our ideas of success for ourselves and our children.

SIL's idea of success seems to be purely based on social status and financial wealth, and she seemed genuinely surprised when DH and I both said we want be happy, to have enough money to get by and to feel comfortable in our own skin (and the same for DD).

I must admit DH and I walked away from the conversation thinking that maybe we were the ones looking at life the wrong way, so it's heartening to read this thread and see that most people feel the way we do .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Starlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me, real true success comes from real genuine, lasting happiness.

I dont believe money can buy that but we do need a certain amount to be able to live, eat etc.

I certainly dont believe success is measured by material posessions tho but rather a happy family life and the love of family and friends and enjoying the simple things

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Starlet View Post
    Good thread OP!

DH are and I were just talking about this on the weekend, after we had an interesting discussion with BIL and SIL about our ideas of success for ourselves and our children.

SIL's idea of success seems to be purely based on social status and financial wealth, and she seemed genuinely surprised when DH and I both said we want be happy, to have enough money to get by and to feel comfortable in our own skin (and the same for DD).

I must admit DH and I walked away from the conversation thinking that maybe we were the ones looking at life the wrong way, so it's heartening to read this thread and see that most people feel the way we do .
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your sil definition of success. My only problem would be if she tried to get you to change your idea of success, and vice versa.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happiness

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seayork2002 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a chat to my husband about this last night, and he said "If in 50 years, we are where your grandparents are now, I'd count that as successful. They're financially secure, they've had fulfilling careers and are still in love. When I saw them at our wedding, surrounded by family and so many good friends celebrating their grandchildren, I said to myself - that's what I want. If we are lucky enough to do that, that's success."
    Melted me.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (27-05-2013),Mod-Uniquey  (27-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tickledblue View Post
    I had a chat to my husband about this last night, and he said "If in 50 years, we are where your grandparents are now, I'd count that as successful. They're financially secure, they've had fulfilling careers and are still in love. When I saw them at our wedding, surrounded by family and so many good friends celebrating their grandchildren, I said to myself - that's what I want. If we are lucky enough to do that, that's success."
    Melted me.
    Wow to beautiful to say anything else

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having a quick think about it - being happy in my marriage; being happy in my career; earning enough for all that we need (plus a bit of play money of course ); and, raising happy and independent children.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post: