+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fine Needle Aspiration

I was just wondering if anyone has had an ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration on an unknown lump or bump before? Would you mind explaining the procedure please? How long it took, could you take someone with you, and what the outcome (if you're able to share) was please?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's what I had on a small bump in one of my girls near my armpit
    It was a couple of years ago but from what I remember it was more uncomfortable than painful. I had a little pain after it and a bruise at the site. Wasn't very long procedure either but again - it was a while ago so I don't remember exactly.
    I went alone voluntarily so I don't know if you could take someone with you.

Luckily turned out to just be fatty nodes (or something like that) in my case.
    Hope everything turns out ok for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nirok For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-05-2013)

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your help nirok, I'm glad you got a good result

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd recommend you ask for a scientist on site to determine adequacy so that you don't have to go back if the radiologist misses.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks R&A, I'll add that to the list of questions to ask when I call them tomorrow morning . We've got to travel the day before to get there for the appointment, so it's not like we'll be able to skip back in later in the day if it's no good - I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrabbyCrabby View Post
    Thanks R&A, I'll add that to the list of questions to ask when I call them tomorrow morning . We've got to travel the day before to get there for the appointment, so it's not like we'll be able to skip back in later in the day if it's no good - I hadn't thought of that.
    Depending on where you are they may or may not offer it. I'm in bris and the pathology company I work for do them regularly. Basically as soon as the needle comes out a scientist can prepare a sample of the specimen to check to see if the radiologist has the right spot and if they have enough cells/material.

What are you getting jabbed?

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's for DP, he's got a mass on his neck. We're going to Perth to get it done on Friday - they can't do it where we live, and they had no sooner appointments. The Dr seemed to think it was fairly urgent, and needed to be seen within a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can give you some answers as I used to do them all the time.

Without knowing where the lump is on you, I'll assume it's somewhere like in the thyroid or a lymph node somewhere on the body.

It is either done with or without ultrasound or ct guidance. A very small but long needle is inserted quickly into the lump and then jiggled around quite briskly. This is to get the cells into the lumen of the needle. I then hand the sample to the pathologist who looks under the microscope to check some cells are present.

It's all very quick and fairly painless as the needle is so small. No anaesthetic is given for the same reason.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Posted at the same time lol.

As the mass is in his neck, I'll assume it will be done under ultrasound guidance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had an unknown lump in my breast. I had an ultrasound on it and then took the ultrasound (and notes) when I went to get the FNA. I have rather small breasts and the lump was clearly visible so they didnt need the ultrasounds to find where the lump was for the needle to go in.
    I have a needle phobia but it had to be done. They 'sucked out' some of the lump and it didnt hurt....felt kind of grainy though which was kind of gross. Biggest pain was just the small pinch of the needle when it went in. Tiny bruise afterwards but nothing major. Took a few minutes in total...nothing major.

Mine ended up being a fibroadenoma...non cancerous. I had it removed with an operation the following year.

ETA: I had DP come with me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post: