+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 days old how often to feed and not need formula top ups?

So my DD is 7 days old today and I'm feeling a little lost trying to work out how often to feed. Currently we are Breastfeeding every feed but it just doesn't seem to be enough and she is being topped up with around 80mls of formula something I really didn't want to do but the hospital suggested this was my only option as she was so hungary.

It takes me around 90mins to feed both sides and around 1hour to settle this is when I usually do the top up bottle. She then sleeps for 4-5 hours. So from start of feed to next wake up can be 7 hours.

I'm starting to think my problem is that the feeds are to big and the sleeps to long and I might need to wake her up and feed more often to cut out the formula? I'm not even sure how many feeds I'm suppose to give her a day.

Any help or suggestions appreciated just feeling so lost and confused and really want to exclusively Breastfeed if I can but feel its slipping away.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How awful! In the first 6 weeks it is completely and utterly normal for a baby to feed really constantly. This is a normal and necessary part of establishing supply for the longterm - it does NOT last forever! Ditch the formula and feed feed feed. What hospital told you to give formula?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-05-2013),F&A  (26-05-2013),Hamilicious  (26-05-2013),misskittyfantastico  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't really have any advice, but at that age DS was feeding every three to four hours. The midwives suggested that an entire feed should be done in around 45 minutes as anything longer just makes bub too tired to effectively feed on the breast. So 20 minutes each side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    How awful! In the first 6 weeks it is completely and utterly normal for a baby to feed really constantly. This is a normal and necessary part of establishing supply for the longterm - it does NOT last forever! Ditch the formula and feed feed feed. What hospital told you to give formula?
    This. Ditch the formula ASAP. You are still building your supply and formula will hamper that, big time. My DD fed for half an hour, every second hour, at that age. Breastfeeding is all supply and demand. The constant feeding builds your supply. 80ml at that age is actually a full formula feed, not a top up. If you want to breastfeed, it needs to go. I had to do formula top ups as my supply was low- dd had dry nappies and lost more weight than she should. Let baby feed as often as possible to bring your supply in, maybe a batch of lactation cookies would give you a boost-
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...osting-Cookies

Info on how breastfeeding actually works-
    http://kellymom.com/category/bf/normal/

The whole kellymom site is invaluable for all it's practical information

What I think you should consider is a "nursing holiday"- take baby to bed, do nothing but feed and sleep- get your partner to look after meals etc if possible. I found this helped bring my supply up after mastitis and I really think this, with the cookies and ditching the formula, will help you. BubHub is a real wealth of bf info and support too, it sure got me through those first few months

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (26-05-2013),MonsterMummy  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies made me feel a lot better. I'm quite happy to feed as much as needed. Seems so much of what I was told isn't quite right for what I wanted to achieve. Feeds shouldn't take longer than 20mins each side, it's to much for you to spend all day feeding come to mind. I will wake her after 3 hours and see how we go increasing the feeds and decreasing the time between them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditch the formula now! Unless your baby is genuinely not getting enough (very few wet nappies, sunken fontanalles, unhealthy looking skin and just generally unsettlee), top ups are unnecessary and will only screw up your supply.

4-5 hours is a long time to go between feeds at that age. To build your supply, feed, feed, feed! Try and feed every 2 hours and make sure she's staying awake and falling asleep on the breast early into the feed.
    For your supply, have a bowl of oatmeal every morning, lots of water, lots of skin to skin contact and sleep!!

Congrats on your little one

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-05-2013),misskittyfantastico  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitisover View Post
    Thanks for your replies made me feel a lot better. I'm quite happy to feed as much as needed. Seems so much of what I was told isn't quite right for what I wanted to achieve. Feeds shouldn't take longer than 20mins each side, it's to much for you to spend all day feeding come to mind. I will wake her after 3 hours and see how we go increasing the feeds and decreasing the time between them.
    I've learned so much about bf in the past few months and there are some really knowledgable ladies on here- please just ask us if you need to! I'm sorry you were told to supplement so soon, I firmly believe that we are not educated or supported to breastfeed properly and this is why our rates are so low. Feel free to PM me anytime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS2 is 12wks and can still feed for up to an hour, every 2-3hrs some days.

The midwife who told you a feed 'must' be over within 40mins is not helping your cause. All babies are different and more effective at draining our breasts. Some are guzzlers, others are lazy!

If it's the same midwife who suggested 80ml top-ups (this is a full feed at 7wks) too, then clearly she isn't quailed or experienced with b/feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Great advice given here. Ditch those bottles and just feed, feed, feed. Congrats on your new little one

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    The midwife who told you a feed 'must' be over within 40mins is not helping your cause. All babies are different and more effective at draining our breasts. Some are guzzlers, others are lazy!

There is a very broad range of what is 'normal' in newborn breastfeeding patterns and behaviour.