+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Ideally something with salicylic acid is going to help you. Glycolic acid would be a great idea too. Look at the ingredients though - if these ingredients are at the bottom, they've added a miniscule amount which won't do anything. Which will most likely be the case with any supermarket brands.

Vitamin C is another fabulous ingredient that will help. In a product. A serum would be good for this.

Avoid anything that says "sodium laurel (or laureth) sulphate." That's nasty stuff you do not want on your skin.

And invest in a good pre-cleanser (oil-based) to use BEFORE you use your standard cleanser. Trust me, your skin will thank you!

And... avoid makeup that isn't mineral? (And again - check ingredients. Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxide and Mica are good. Bismuth Oxychloride and Talc = bad. Minerals won't clog your pores, meaning less change of worsening the acne, while still covering it. But the ingredients about... if it has those, and avoid the bad ones, it should be good. If it just says "mica," or something at the end of an ingredient list, it's full of crap with just enough mineral in it to allow it to call itself a mineral make-up without offering the benefits!).

(Can you tell what I do for a living? )

Good luck!
    Wow! Thank you very much. I'll have to write that all out so I'm armed and ready.

Thanks for taking the time to put all that info up, much appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    The ingredients of the cleanser & toner are:

water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, decyl glucoside, glycerin, peg-7 glyceryl, cocoate, glycol stearate, cocamidopropyl betaine, polyquaternium-10, stearic acid, aminomethyl propanol, peg-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, peg-14m, tetradibutyl pentaerythrityl, hydroxyhydrocinnamate, disodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance.

crikey that was a challenge lol.
    Thank you Chunkydunks. I don't think I can even pronounce majority of those ingredients, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    nor can I

The only one I have that has salicylic acid is a Clean and Clear one and it did very little for my acne. I know most of mine is hormonal cystic acne so there is little external help for it but I've had a break out lately and it's driving me crazy.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've always found Salicylic acid to be the way to go. There is a Clearasil one with that too. But I only use dab on gels rather than toners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Me too if you dont mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I went and got this shampoo (not family with all the shampoo ingredients, so it's probably full of crap... lol), and used it on DD last night. This morning, her hair was LOVELY and soft and smooth. I used the conditioner also.

Thanks guys!

The ingredients of the cleanser & toner are:

water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, decyl glucoside, glycerin, peg-7 glyceryl, cocoate, glycol stearate, cocamidopropyl betaine, polyquaternium-10, stearic acid, aminomethyl propanol, peg-150 pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, peg-14m, tetradibutyl pentaerythrityl, hydroxyhydrocinnamate, disodium edta, dmdm hydantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance.

crikey that was a challenge lol.
    Anything ending with "paraben," is not a good thing to be putting on your skin, I do know that much. They're preservatives, basically, and are carcinogens and they have actually been found in the cells making up tumors, so best to avoid anything that says "paraben," in it!

The PEG's are linked to infertility and a few types of cancer. (There were 3 diff PEGs in that ingredients list).

DMDM hydantoin is often contaminated with formaldehyde and is a skin irritant (so weird it's in the product)

The things that MIGHT be doing some good to your skin are:

Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate which is an antioxidant

Sodium cocoate which help dry up excess sebum and clear dirt.

Everything else is preservative, fragrance, something to make the product "nicer" (like making it glide on smoother, look better, blend ingredients together, etc) but not more effective. The drying-out of the skin might be helping the acne, but long-term drying out your skin isn't going to be beneficial...

Skincare is so confusing, but if you're happy with it, keep using it. Just be careful... because the sodium cocoate won't be great long-term, because drying out your skin usually means your skin gets sore and dry and ages more quickly... and sometimes your skin will go "eff you," and just create more dramas for you in the end.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Yikes. When I saw paraben on the list I knew it wasn't great but didn't look at it until I posted that. Means its a patrolium based product which I don't like. Might have to keep looking for something....or actually try out the manuka honey I've been meaning to..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I went and got this shampoo (not family with all the shampoo ingredients, so it's probably full of crap... lol), and used it on DD last night. This morning, her hair was LOVELY and soft and smooth. I used the conditioner also.

Thanks guys!

!
    I'm glad you liked it and it made a difference!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (29-05-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yikes. When I saw paraben on the list I knew it wasn't great but didn't look at it until I posted that. Means its a patrolium based product which I don't like. Might have to keep looking for something....or actually try out the manuka honey I've been meaning to..
    This ^^ is why I like the Garnier Fructis Pure Shine Shampoo and conditioner, it states on the label - no parabens or silicons. I'm not sure if it's the only non salon product which doesn't have silicons and parabens.

I rotate between this one and ones meant to be deeper conditioning (like the dove ones).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Thank you ! I loooooove this shampoo and conditioner. Also tried the heat resistant mist and that is awesome too!