+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really think there is any perfect time to have a baby.....you can plan and plan but at the end of the day you never know what's around the corner. With my first we were in a great financial position when TTC. Then literally a few weeks into my pregnancy dh got made redundant and we struggled financially for at least a year after that despite our best plans!!! I think whatever your situation you make it work because you have too 😊.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whoknows For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (22-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, but like the pp...I don't really think there is a 'perfect' time. Where there is a will, you will find a way I won't lie, we have had some pretty tough/broke times but we always manage to get through them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I fell pregnant with DD I was a student and DH had just graduated Uni and was just starting out so things were really very tight but we learnt ways to make what money we have stretch. With DS1 DH was in a slightly higher pay bracket and having a 2 yr old as well as a new baby made it so some weeks were very much a struggle so we learnt some new ways to make sure we had everything like only shopping once a fortnight and making sure we went with who had the most specials and to make cheap snacks in bulk and freeze. We were better off last time around because DH is now in a job with almost triple his original income but we find we still use those money saving tips we used back then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my husband was out of work when we fell with this baby. it was stressful but I knew it would work out. it does. it really does.

He found a job he likes, I got a pay rise, things happen. Sure I won't be able to take heaps of time off after the birth but we totally could if I cancelled things like our internet, sky (foxtel to you guys), all that kind of stuff. But we can budget and we can do without. The big things I found to save money on (funny what you can do when you have to) is food. We spent too much on food. I cook and bake following budget sites. I make soups, we don't buy our lunches (dh gets fed at his new job which helps), I bake ds scones instead of buying him biscuits.... I pay all my bills before due date to get prompt payment discounts, (far out I was wasting so much money not getting those discounts!).

I wouldn't wait. I took 14 months to fall with ds and two months with this baby. You don't know what that magical switch is that helps that egg and sperm meet. If you wait you could miss that moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It did for me, but I had a lot of support from my mother and was lucky in that way.

I would never willingly do it though. I've done it. It's tough. It's not a life you want to make for yourself. I've done it tough... so I'm not having another baby until I know it won't make life too financially difficult.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

clucky_duck  (23-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got pregnant at 21,I worked up until 36 weeks to get maternity leave,and this was in NZ making $300 a 40hr week,my hubby made $400 a 40 plus hr week.We scrimped and saved for 9 months and sold everything we had and moved to Oz with a 7 week old and $15,000.I don't really know how we did it But had another baby and went through the scrimping and saving again to buy our own home.We certainly aren't rolling in it,but it can be done (once you've lived in NZ you know what **** money is hahah)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's never a perfect time to have a bub in terms of savings. Would I choose to get pregnant with no savings at all - no I wouldn't as that would mean I had no buffer in case of pregnancy complications, etc. I don't know what your wage is now, but you should try & save a little bit each week (eg. $50) and put it aside. It might mean in the long run you can have another month or two at home with bubs, or finish up earlier from work if you are having a difficult pregnancy.

We planned both of our kiddies and planned for me to have 12 months off after #1 and 6 months off after #2. We had a lot less savings 2nd time around and more expenses. It has all worked out, but we've ended up struggling financially for a lot longer than I expected and it's probably only been the last few months that things have really improved - I went back to work 15 months ago when our dd was 5 months old. But, time wasn't on my side and if we'd waited any longer I might have have had #2, so I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our first (planned) in quite a crappy situation.

We were living at home, I was halfway through a uni degree and wasn't working, DH had just finished his apprenticeship, we had no money, no home of our own, we weren't married, I was 20, oh a whole bunch of stuff! But the long and short was that I had known fertility issues and recommendation was for me to have any kids early, as my body would have a better chance at 20 than 10 years down the track. We wanted to have kids, so it was a no-brainer!

That child is now 6, and has a 2 year old brother. We have bought two houses. I finished my uni degree. We got married. DH started up a successful business that has allowed me to stay home with my youngest for a couple of years. We are really happy and life is great!

Those first few years with DD were tough, we were renting, both working full time and I was struggling to finish my uni degree by distance. But with hard work and determination we got through and now have a wonderful life. I don't regret anything, who knows if we had decided to wait? I know that I wouldn't have my DD or DS and they are the people who made us push ourselves to our limits for a few years to give them a great childhood. No regrets at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Julesbwn  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone's stories are very inspirational!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you everyone for all your responses! Now I'm going to start a new thread on Conceiving with Anxiety :-(