+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tips to get 15 mth old sleeping on flight

We're headed o/s late July and DS will be 15 mths. It's only a 6 hr flight but he will still be due for a sleep.
    He is a bub who loves his cot/porta cot for sleep. I've never been able to settle him to sleep in my arms other than when he was newby. And, when he gets tired, he squirms all over me and grizzles but won't allow me to hold and pat him to sleep.
    Any tips on how to get him to sleep??
    I was thinking of making a comfy lil bed on the floor near our feet (we'll be in the seats with more leg room) and giving him his sleep cues like sleeping bag, dummy, blankie. But I get the feeling he'll be way too excited and probably overtired to settle and lay still to sleep.
    Otherwise, it's only a short trip. I'll have to deal with it if he dosent sleep.
    Any tips/ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can't put them on the floor...

For a 6 hour flight I wouldn't worry about it all. He might not have his usual sleep that day, that's all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What kw123 said.

No floor beds allowed. You could request a bassinet ? But that didn't work for me as my girls prefer to sleep on the boob.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just distract him and not bother with the sleep. My DD was much younger when we travelled but also only slept in her bed but did sleep in our arms for flights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dd at that age thought the bassinettes were great, she had a fantastic view when she sat up of the entire economy class behind her, people smiling and waving at her ...

I have always found that the white noise and gentle vibration of the plane puts dd to sleep, you just might be lucky! Close the window, turn off your tv so they aren't watching it, and rock rock rock. Try and pre-book seats with one in between you, or a window seat spare and you two on the aisle. Chances are people wont choose those seats. When you check in ask if there is a possibility of a spare seat, even if you are at the back of the plane. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. Last time we flew I had dd and she slid down onto the floor herself to sleep. Flight attendants didn't say anything. But now you mention it, I can see it would be a no-no.
    I did ask for a bassinet for this flight for DS but they said the weight limit is 10kg. I'll still ask for one anyway. And I'll definately ask that we have spare seats next to us if it's possible.
    Also DS sleeps with white noise every day (his room is in high traffic area and dd never walks quietly) I forgot that it might actually help him settle too. I remember a month ago going to the hairdresser and he fell asleep as soon as they turned the hair dryer on so I think the cabin noise is a definate bonus.
    If no sleep, then that's fine. He'll no doubt fall asleep as soon as we put him in the pram and go through customs!
    He'll have a good arvo sleep anyway. Thankyou again. Great reassurance x