+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    can you call out a locum service??
    Can't think of any in the area would anyone know of one in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go to emergency. You'll be able to get some decent pain relief on board, get it treated and get antibiotics if needed. Get your mum to take you so she can look after your daughter in case you need admission.

youd be stupid to wait in pain until Monday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh thanks heaps girls.

Leading towards hospital over dodgy out of hours clinic (have a long term hate of those places).

DD just came to sit of my knee for a cuddle (she's also sick) and it was agony!

Normally I lance a boil myself and they don't hurt so bad, but the location of this one it's not possible.

Might call nurse on call otherwise off to local ER. Can't wait to explain it at the desk when they ask to see haha.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Ahh thanks heaps girls.

Leading towards hospital over dodgy out of hours clinic (have a long term hate of those places).

DD just came to sit of my knee for a cuddle (she's also sick) and it was agony!

Normally I lance a boil myself and they don't hurt so bad, but the location of this one it's not possible.

Might call nurse on call otherwise off to local ER. Can't wait to explain it at the desk when they ask to see haha.
    The nurse will just tell you go to hospital. Just go to the hospital. Don't worry about it, boils/abscesses/cysts in that area are super common and they see them everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just spoke to mum, who is the only person I have to watch DD and also a long time sufferer of boils, she cant come over tonight but suggested I try a heat pack for a while and then try and get a bandaid on as best I can and if still bad tomorrow go to the chemist for some advice.

Hmm, here's hoping the heat pack helps a bit with the pain otherwise it's going to be a long night.

And DD is sick too and there's no way I could take her with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be a abscess/pilonadial sinus? They are extremely painful and can cause huge problems. I would bypass the chemist and go straight to your dr. ASAP. Hope you and your DD are feeling better soon!

Best of luck!
    Last edited by thepouts; 25-05-2013 at 22:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing they are terrible.

I've never tried this but apparently if you put Vicks on it and cover with a bandaid it can sometimes help draw it out. Might be worth a shot till you can get some proper help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a pilonidal sinus - basically a tract like cyst at the top of your butt crack. They hurt best to get treatment as soon as you can, they worsen badly. You'll need to go to hospital or a clinic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pilonidal sinus
    A Pilonidal sinus is a tract which commonly contains hair and skin debris and is prone to recurring infections. It is almost always located near the tail bone at the top of the cleft of the buttocks.

This condition usually occurs in young adults (and more often with males) between the ages of 15 and 24.

A sinus may cause no noticeable symptoms at the beginning when it is first developing.

The only sign of its presence may be a small pit in the surface of the skin. The symptoms may then develop quickly or gradually over time.

If symptoms develop quickly, pain and swelling will increase over a number of days as an infected abscess develops in and around the sinus. This is very painful and tender. If symptoms develop, gradually the sinus may discharge some pus which releases the pressure and reduces the pain. However, the infection never clears completely so the pain and discharge can persist for the long-term or flare up from time to time until the sinus is treated.

In most cases an operation is advised. The most common operation is the cutting out of the sinus as well as a wide margin of skin surrounding the sinus. The wound is not stitched but left to heal by normal healing processes. This wound will take weeks to heal and requires regular dressings until it heals. The advantage is that all the inflamed tissue is removed and the chance of reoccurrence is low.

Another treatment is cutting away the section of skin that contains the sinus and stitching the sides closed. The wound heals quite quickly but there is higher risk of recurrence of infection with this method of treatment.

That's from http://brochures.mater.org.au/Home/Brochures/Mater-Adult-Hospital/Pilonidal-sinus

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    I just spoke to mum, who is the only person I have to watch DD and also a long time sufferer of boils, she cant come over tonight but suggested I try a heat pack for a while and then try and get a bandaid on as best I can and if still bad tomorrow go to the chemist for some advice.
    Tell your mum to suck it up, because you need medical treatment. There's not if, buts or maybes about it. I'm sure if it was your appendix and you needed urgent hospitalisation for that, she'd suddenly be free to take your daughter overnight.

Go to ED, take your daughter with you and see what the doctors say. If they want to admit you, then your mum will just have to deal with that and mind your daughter.

Does your daughter have any friends that she could have sleepover with tonight?