+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying at 32 weeks

Hi everybody,

I am contemplating a shortish plane trip inter-state at 32 weeks pregnant. It was booked before pregnancy and is a spritual pilgrimage of sorts which I am looking forward to doing with baby in belly and is not something that I can just do later. Nothing physical at all. I would be away for only 3 days before the return flight. Flight is 3 and a half hours one way and 4 and half return. Air-line says ok and Obstetrician says ok, but of course a mother always worries. I remember I flew at 3 months pregnant many years ago (too dumb to realise there was any risk at all) and had no probs and enjoyed the flight. Now is very different of course as I will be further along.

Having done alot of research, there seems to be no evidience that flying causes premature birth, but more to the point that if one is to go into premmie labour on the plane or away from home, how unpleasant that may be. I'm scheduled for c-section and I suppose the postiive is that it isn't a long flight.

Still undecied, but am looking for any experienced preggy flyers and what the experience was like for you.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for it. This pregnancy I've done long haul (to UK) in the first trimester and plenty of inter and intra state from WA for work during second. Nothing as late as you (I'm only 33 weeks now) but if there are no health concerns from your OB then I don't see a problem.

Just get an aisle seat if you can so you can get up and walk around and go to the loo if you need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't flown pregnant but looked into it when I was 33 weeks for interstate flight when my grandfather passed away and the airline said it was fine as long as my OB gave a letter saying it was fine. My OB told me the only reason they do this was fear of pre term labour during flights but as long as your not showing the signs then your fine. I wasn't given the letter due to having cholestasis and needing ctg done every 2nd day. So as long as the OB says you and bub are both healthy and bub has no immediate plans to head out into the world then I say go enjoy your trip

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done a fair bit of flying pregnant or with newborns. Just short interstate flights though- my first pregnancy I was. 37 weeks when I flew for a friends wedding. My OB examined me the day before to check I wasn't at all dilated and the flight itself was no drama at all.
    It must have been the start of a tradition since I ended up flying interstate for weddings in the 3rd trimester of all 3 of my pregnancies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    4.5 hours is a very long haul if you're in labour. and very uncomfortable too if your waters have broken.. some babies come early for unknown reasons, some late, who knows, but just make sure you have compression stockings on too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    4.5 hours is a very long haul if you're in labour. and very uncomfortable too if your waters have broken.. some babies come early for unknown reasons, some late, who knows, but just make sure you have compression stockings on too.
    If she was in labour or her waters broke they wouldn't continue the flight - they'd either head back to destination or land at the closest available airport and transfer to that towns hospital.

You'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank u everyone for your replies. It's been very helpful. I will be making my decision closer to the date and will hav to go with my gut I guess (which is rather prominent these days !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone, thought I would complete this thread by reporting that I did indeed choose to fly and it was a wonderful experience. No probs and not even any swelling of feet (I wore flight sox). I found it quite comforting that my air hostess was 28 weeks pregnant and hilarious that she kept forgetting our requests. Perhaps I was lucky to have such smooth flights and seats towards the front. So glad I decided to go. Thank u everyone for advice. x