+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Over 12 months for both and of I have another baby it will be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When they started crawling and putting everything in their mouths so 4-6 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    12 months.
    Milk can breed bacteria like crazy so if you miss washing it off then sterilising kills any left over. It's got nothing to do with bubs putting objects in his/her mouth off the floor!!
    This!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    The point to sterilizing is this - (per the WHO). Formula is made overseas, the product is not deemed reliable to be clean ie it harbors bacteria. The only way you can prevent the bacteria growing is to prepare it in a sterile place ie sterile bottles, teats etc in boiling water that is used within 2 hours. the international guidelines recommend sterilizing up to 6 months minimum, after this babies have a more advanced immune system. I am aware of infection control through my profession and before bub was born I wasn't going to steralise, that was until I learnt the formula is unsafe until the bacteria is eliminated. There are up to date feeding guidelines that are evidence based which take the should I shouldn't I queries out of the equation for feeding your baby safely.
    And this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    The point to sterilizing is this - (per the WHO). Formula is made overseas, the product is not deemed reliable to be clean ie it harbors bacteria. The only way you can prevent the bacteria growing is to prepare it in a sterile place ie sterile bottles, teats etc in boiling water that is used within 2 hours. the international guidelines recommend sterilizing up to 6 months minimum, after this babies have a more advanced immune system. I am aware of infection control through my profession and before bub was born I wasn't going to steralise, that was until I learnt the formula is unsafe until the bacteria is eliminated. There are up to date feeding guidelines that are evidence based which take the should I shouldn't I queries out of the equation for feeding your baby safely.
    Are you sure this is information for Australia? I'm sure most Australian formula is made here (or New Zealand ..... And I know (have a family member that works in the lab that manufactures baby formula) that the quality control mechanisms mean that it is safe on a microbial level. Australia is one of the safest formula manufacturing countries in the world.

According to my cousin in the lab, the issue is not with the formula, but with the bottle (old formula stuck in hard to reach places, bacteria from people's hands, not washing bottles properly etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Are you sure this is information for Australia? I'm sure most Australian formula is made here (or New Zealand ..... And I know (have a family member that works in the lab that manufactures baby formula) that the quality control mechanisms mean that it is safe on a microbial level. Australia is one of the safest formula manufacturing countries in the world.

According to my cousin in the lab, the issue is not with the formula, but with the bottle (old formula stuck in hard to reach places, bacteria from people's hands, not washing bottles properly etc)
    This is what I thought, Australia has one of the toughest safety standards in the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a hospital and we no longer sterilise bottles. Hot soapy water, scrub with a bottle brush and rinse with some boiling water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped around 5-6 months. The ABA say for a healthy term baby it is unnecessary to sterilise. My aunty and friend are NICU nurses and repeatedly told me even for most of the premmie babies they just use hot soapy water.

I have however sterilised the bottles from the days I'm at work a couple times of late because I have solar hot water and it wasn't overly hot at the time of washing.

As for the formula not being safe, rubbish. Australia has one of the toughest quality control measures there is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never. I FF and was advised by my midwife that sterilising was no longer recommended - just hot soapy water.

So bottles went through the dishwasher, and teats got cleaned in hot soapy water.
    I'll do the same next time too.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Around 7mths old.