Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    I never took my babies to the hairdressers, I either never got a haircut or had dh look after them. I never expect anyone to accommodate me and a screaming baby in their workplace and to inconvenience them by pushing their whole day behind. It's called being considerate of others, the world doesn't stop for you just because you've had a baby. Her lesson here is don't take a bfed baby to the hairdressers, you can't have a haircut and feed at the same time and they're not going to wait for you. That's pretty fair.Z
    Even though the manager stated he's done haircuts for bfing mothers? I'd say she likely fed to prevent the screaming baby. The hairdresser chose to stop without a word- her day was not pushed behind, she went on to another client and didn't finish her cut. The mother here did not expect "the world to stop" for her, she expected it to continue on- that it didn't was not her call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as I'm aware she stopped 'while' she fed, then by the time she finished feeding went onto the next client, and the salon offered someone else to finish it. They never told her to get out, stop feeding etc. obviously if she didn't start feeding the hairdresser wouldn't have wasted time if she waited yes her day would have been pushed back, every client thereafter would have late appointments and the hairdresser would then finish late. Why do you think that's appropriate for everyone to be inconvenienced like that??
    I accept miscommunication, she would have had to say something because she moved to pick up her baby, when I bfed I would tell people 'I'm just going to bfeed if that's ok' and it gives the other person the opportunity to respond, the hairdresser then could have said I can't cut your hair for health and safety reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or I have busy day and can't wait for you. They let her feed and finish feeding, then offered her someone else to cut her hair which is more than fair. The mother refused and made a hoopla about it, she was wrong to expect everyone to wait for her.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Olin For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Getting off the bus, fair enough. But in the situation of this mum, I'd have felt very uncomfortable letting my baby scream for ten minutes ( or whatever) to get my hair cut iykwim? I would think that would impact everyone there. I find it hard to do anything with screaming going on, I don't imagine it's conducive to a good hair cut (for anyone in close proximity!)
    I really don't buy the safety angle in this story. It wasn't mentioned o the mum, "privacy" was, and only when she asked. I don't think this mum behaved poorly or selfishly in feeding her bub, I would prob find it more selfish/poor form if she'd let the little mite scream the salon down, iykwim?
    And she didn't let her baby scream, she fed, the salon had no problem, let her feed in peace, didn't kick her out or anything and then offered someone else to finish her cut. The mum refused, why? I would have been more than satisfied with that and glad they were so accommodating. I wouldn't bfeed while getting a cut either, under that cloth, a wriggling baby, me moving, hair possibly getting on the baby. And a hairdresser has every right to refuse something she/he thinks compromises their safety and being able to do a thorough job.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Olin For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VanityFey View Post
    A lot of babies don't feed quietly and stay still, so this would be an issue. At my salon we don't even allow people to drink coffee while we cut their hair, for the amount we charge it has to be perfect every time, therefor we minimize the amount of complications which could lead to a imperfect haircut. And in an earlier comments someone said something among the lines of hardly any hair falls to the front of the cape when I get my hair cut, that's great, you probably get a simple solid form cut or something similar, but when I cut I do a lot of shaping/layering around the face and often a heck of a lot falls onto the front of the cape.
    Im not defending the hair stylist in the story, but simply that hairdressers are just trying to do their job and do it safely and well, and we have that right. It astounds me why they didn't just compromise and feed the baby while the stylist was blow dying, seems the simplest solution. Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I am assuming the baby in the story wasnt squirming or her mother would have been the one to ask the hairdresser to stop. I can't believe you don't let women drink coffee when they have a haircut. Sounds like your salon is in the minority...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And she didn't let her baby scream, she fed, the salon had no problem, let her feed in peace, didn't kick her out or anything and then offered someone else to finish her cut. The mum refused, why? I would have been more than satisfied with that and glad they were so accommodating. I wouldn't bfeed while getting a cut either, under that cloth, a wriggling baby, me moving, hair possibly getting on the baby. And a hairdresser has every right to refuse something she/he thinks compromises their safety and being able to do a thorough job.
    When did the salon tell her they were going to stop cutting due to safety? They told her they stopped due to privacy, not safety. Since they didn't ask if she wanted privacy and she didn't indicate she needed privacy, it's fair to assume the stylist stopped cutting for her own comfort. If the mum was uncomfortable feeding, she either wouldn't have done so or would have asked for the stylist to stop. The mum refused because she was offered a different hairdresser and a more junior one. That's fair enough IMO. I'm glad you would have found someone walking away without a word, some words about privacy - NOT safety, and the offer of a junior to finish your hair acceptable but I can see why this mum did not. A hairdresser actually does not have the right to treat someone less favorably because they are breast feeding. This can mean ceasing service, this can mean refusing to complete the job and offering a less suitable stylist in her place. This is clearly stated in both state and federal law. They could have said "I think it would be safer to stop cutting while you feed because of xyz- I will resume cutting when you are done" and done so, no harm done. They walked off without a word, cited privacy and refused to complete the job.

Nb- I know she didn't let the baby scream- that was my point- she fed rather than disrupt the whole salon with a screaming, hungry baby.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013),Stiflers Mom  (25-05-2013),VicPark  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or I have busy day and can't wait for you. They let her feed and finish feeding, then offered her someone else to cut her hair which is more than fair. The mother refused and made a hoopla about it, she was wrong to expect everyone to wait for her.
    She didn't expect anyone to wait, she expected them to continue- that's the whole point, y'know?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Everything Atropos is saying....

Its not about them stopping the haircut. Of course if they honestly felt it was dangerous they would be expected, even obligated, to stop cutting. (Although I really don't think it's safety if the manager admits to cutting women's hair while bf before). But they should've given her an explanation. Just say 'I'm sorry I can't keep cutting your hair while you hold the baby, its against OH&S. if you can finish feeding quickly I should be able to finish your haircut, otherwise I'll have to get so-and-so to do it because I have other clients waiting." It's common courtesy that's missing here. And THAT'S why I think it was more to do with the hairdresser feeling uncomfortable, and therefore didnt know how to explain it so just walked off.she would've had to stop while the mum picked up the baby, so she knew what was happening. Unless mum was already holding him/her, in which case surely the same 'safety issues' already applied?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And that's where the error in miscommunication comes into play and I accept that. But the hairdresser does have a right to stop service if there is a health and safety concern, the law is open to interpretation and it depends on each individual circumstance. In this circumstance she has scissors in her hands and fine hair falling everywhere around the baby!!!??? I'm sorry, but your need to feed a baby doesn't mean someone puts their job and workplace at risk, no law will accept that. I have a hard time finding a hairdresser who's willing to cut my kids hair, and I end up doing it myself; because of the risk they face cutting them, and possible lawsuit by me. They have the right to refuse when it concerns health and safety, I accept that. I don't feel the world revolves around my kids and everyone must accommodate them. And no, the salon, clients and hairdresser shouldn't have to wait either and push all their appointments back, you have to be considerate as a feeding mother awell, if you have a hairdresser that has no issue with you feeding while cutting your hair great, if not I think its more than acceptable to respect that. Again, they didn't kick her out, they didn't stop her feeding, they didn't refuse service because they offered someone else to finish it, just not while she was feeding. Getting a junior to finish your haircut is better than walking out with a half finished haircut and contacting the media over it for attention. It's just hair and she needed to get over it, it wasn't a genuine discrimination case against a baby feeding in public and it puts a bad stain on what mums are working towards to have people accept their rights to feed in public. This is why people call mums inconsiderate, things like this

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Olin For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    She didn't expect anyone to wait, she expected them to continue- that's the whole point, y'know?
    And they had a right to not continue while she fed. But they could've communicated it better and given the reasons why. At the end of the day no one was there and its he said she said, some parts don't even add up. I wouldn't have contacted the media over it, and I wouldn't have harassed the salon to the point the manager was yelling at me on the phone to never come back. She's over reacted, she could have said yes to the junior finishing the cut, or just gone somewhere else and thought yeah, taking a baby to a haircut doesn't work. Its why I never did, my hair is still pretty and I haven't died

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast