Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    what if the hair dresser continued cutting and the baby had a comb or a pair of scissors or a heap of hair clippings fall on its face? Sure there should have been more communication but the mother could just have easily gone to the media citing health and safety regulations and how the hair dresser should have stopped.

if you want to bf at a cafe, go ahead. A restaurant, why not! The shops, sure go for it. The pools, heck do it sitting on the pool ledge. I don't care. Seriously, I don't, not as long as common sense is used. But the hair dresser? Apart from being awkward for the customer and the hair dresser, a baby shouldn't have to have hair falling on their face or in their eyes as they are put under the cape.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub
    Thats fine. I don't buy that its THAT dangerous for a baby to be fed (either b/fed or bottle) while getting a haircut. I can't imagine it would be ok for a waitress to refuse to serve someone feeding their baby 'just incase' they spilt a drink/food on them.

BUT on the chance that the hairdresser in question really didn't feel it was safe, or even if they were being considerate to the mother (which I highly doubt was the case), you don't just walk off without an explanation and then say "sorry, time's up!". I honestly think she felt uncomfortable, walked off, they decided they'd make a point that they didn't appreciate what she did and make her miss her hair cut or get it done by someone less senior (not what she paid for). Now they are back-peddling coz it looks bad.

Anyway, like I said, I wouldn't bother with the media, but I would name and shame on fb hahaha.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    So your baby survived being breastfed while you had a haircut?

Surprisingly, yes! He definitely had the odds stacked against him but thankfully he is ok!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So generally hairdressers don't drop scissors, but can you imagine the fuss that would be made if the bub sudddenly moves and the hairdresser did drop the scissors on the baby??? A lot of babies don't just lay still when feeding.

If a hairdresser is comfortable cutting while someone is feeding, great. However, if a hairdresser has concerns about the safety of the client and child due to using a sharp tool, then they have every right to PAUSE the service while the baby is being fed.

I think this is just a case of miscommunication. She could have asked at any time where the hairdresser had gone, but she didn't. She said "I tried to make eye contact". Good for you love. If you are concerned, use your voice.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (25-05-2013),DarcyJ  (25-05-2013),Guest654  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my hair cut and foiled when ds3 was a few months old. I made sure he was fed before I got there but during the couple of hours I was there he got really unsettled. I tried everything I could think of before sticking him on the boob.

Tbh, it didn't even cross my mind that the hairdresser might stop. I think if she had of, I would have been so embarrassed

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: More breastfeeding in public dramas

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't agree with tinting while holding a baby due to bub breathing in chemicals. But I can't understand how a hairdresser could have difficulty cutting hair when a mother is quietly feeding her baby. Happy for this to be explained to me though. It's just that I've never had a hairdresser slip up and cut me using her scissors in all the time I've been getting my hair done. Perhaps I've had the luck of good hairdressers?
    A lot of babies don't feed quietly and stay still, so this would be an issue. At my salon we don't even allow people to drink coffee while we cut their hair, for the amount we charge it has to be perfect every time, therefor we minimize the amount of complications which could lead to a imperfect haircut. And in an earlier comments someone said something among the lines of hardly any hair falls to the front of the cape when I get my hair cut, that's great, you probably get a simple solid form cut or something similar, but when I cut I do a lot of shaping/layering around the face and often a heck of a lot falls onto the front of the cape.
    Im not defending the hair stylist in the story, but simply that hairdressers are just trying to do their job and do it safely and well, and we have that right. It astounds me why they didn't just compromise and feed the baby while the stylist was blow dying, seems the simplest solution. Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by VanityFey; 25-05-2013 at 07:35.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (25-05-2013),Guest654  (25-05-2013),oozzle  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I started typing something, my wiggly breastfeeding baby bumped me when I meant to hit discard instead of submit. Hence why - I've not had a hair cut in over a year. Lol.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 25-05-2013 at 08:38.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VanityFey View Post
    A lot of babies don't feed quietly and stay still, so this would be an issue. At my salon we don't even allow people to drink coffee while we cut their hair, for the amount we charge it has to be perfect every time, therefor we minimize the amount of complications which could lead to a imperfect haircut. And in an earlier comments someone said something among the lines of hardly any hair falls to the front of the cape when I get my hair cut, that's great, you probably get a simple solid form cut or something similar, but when I cut I do a lot of shaping/layering around the face and often a heck of a lot falls onto the front of the cape.
    Im not defending the hair stylist in the story, but simply that hairdressers are just trying to do their job and do it safely and well, and we have that right. It astounds me why they didn't just compromise and feed the baby while the stylist was blow dying, seems the simplest solution. Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Have you had a baby? My 8 month old still doesn't understand when I tell her to wait for the blow dry before being fed
    I don't know, I'm not a hairdresser, but as far as I know, they're entirely capable of saying "Hey, while you feed the baby, I will stop cutting as I don't want (xyz) to happen, if that's ok with you?" Instead of just walking off mid cut, then saying, later on, something about privacy reasons (and none of the potential hazards you have mentioned) and offering a junior stylist to complete her work.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Have you had a baby? My 8 month old still doesn't understand when I tell her to wait for the blow dry before being fed
    I don't know, I'm not a hairdresser, but as far as I know, they're entirely capable of saying "Hey, while you feed the baby, I will stop cutting as I don't want (xyz) to happen, if that's ok with you?" Instead of just walking off mid cut, then saying, later on, something about privacy reasons (and none of the potential hazards you have mentioned) and offering a junior stylist to complete her work.
    But.... Sometimes they do just have to wait. An actual haircut doesn't take an enormously long time. A baby CAN wait 10 minutes to be fed. They don't think they can, but they can.
    I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that BFing your baby can be used to excuse poor/dangerous/selfish behaviour. The term 'a baby can't wait' kind of bugs me. Yes, they can. Sometimes it's best to deal with them asap, sometimes it's better to hold out.
    I was on the bus yesterday feeding DD. We were nearly at our stop and she wasn't quite done, but I had to cut her off and pop her in the pram. She screamed her head off, but would it have been better for me to tell the driver 'you need to wait at my stop till I'm ready to get off- I'm feeding my baby and it can't wait'
    I do feel mothers these days can have a huge sense of entitlement, and that's the vibe I get from this story.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (25-05-2013),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (25-05-2013),Kirst33  (25-05-2013),Lincolns mummy  (25-05-2013),oozzle  (25-05-2013),VanityFey  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never took my babies to the hairdressers, I either never got a haircut or had dh look after them. I never expect anyone to accommodate me and a screaming baby in their workplace and to inconvenience them by pushing their whole day behind. It's called being considerate of others, the world doesn't stop for you just because you've had a baby. Her lesson here is don't take a bfed baby to the hairdressers, you can't have a haircut and feed at the same time and they're not going to wait for you. That's pretty fair.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Olin For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    But.... Sometimes they do just have to wait. An actual haircut doesn't take an enormously long time. A baby CAN wait 10 minutes to be fed. They don't think they can, but they can.
    I'm really uncomfortable with the idea that BFing your baby can be used to excuse poor/dangerous/selfish behaviour. The term 'a baby can't wait' kind of bugs me. Yes, they can. Sometimes it's best to deal with them asap, sometimes it's better to hold out.
    I was on the bus yesterday feeding DD. We were nearly at our stop and she wasn't quite done, but I had to cut her off and pop her in the pram. She screamed her head off, but would it have been better for me to tell the driver 'you need to wait at my stop till I'm ready to get off- I'm feeding my baby and it can't wait'
    I do feel mothers these days can have a huge sense of entitlement, and that's the vibe I get from this story.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Getting off the bus, fair enough. But in the situation of this mum, I'd have felt very uncomfortable letting my baby scream for ten minutes ( or whatever) to get my hair cut iykwim? I would think that would impact everyone there. I find it hard to do anything with screaming going on, I don't imagine it's conducive to a good hair cut (for anyone in close proximity!)
    I really don't buy the safety angle in this story. It wasn't mentioned o the mum, "privacy" was, and only when she asked. I don't think this mum behaved poorly or selfishly in feeding her bub, I would prob find it more selfish/poor form if she'd let the little mite scream the salon down, iykwim?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-05-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast