Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't understand how they could have continued the haircut while she was feeding. I think this woman is trying to make a story out of nothing and that annoys me. I would be the first to jump to a breast feeding mothers defense if harassed in public. I have breast fed and bottle fed in public and it wasn't the breast feeding I was harassed about! In fact I have never witnessed a breast feeding mum harassed or discriminated against while out but I'm not naive enough to suggest it doesn't exist. I think if there is an issue here it's about her "feeding" her child whether it be bottle or breast so I am kinda annoyed with the Mum for trying to make it a "breastfeeding" issue. But then again this is all just speculation and my opinion as none of us were there

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    I don't understand how they could have continued the haircut while she was feeding. I think this woman is trying to make a story out of nothing and that annoys me. I would be the first to jump to a breast feeding mothers defense if harassed in public. I have breast fed and bottle fed in public and it wasn't the breast feeding I was harassed about! In fact I have never witnessed a breast feeding mum harassed or discriminated against while out but I'm not naive enough to suggest it doesn't exist. I think if there is an issue here it's about her "feeding" her child whether it be bottle or breast so I am kinda annoyed with the Mum for trying to make it a "breastfeeding" issue. But then again this is all just speculation and my opinion as none of us were there

The salon owner, who was there, suggested that he himself had tended to feeding women with no problem so I guess we just have to take his word for it that it is possible, had the stylist chosen to do so.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't understand how they could have continued the haircut while she was feeding.
    I don't understand how you don't understand how they could have continued the haircut?

Unless mum was super perky, her boobs would not have been in the way of her hair when it was being cut.
    And assuming the mother was sitting down and the baby was feeding quietly like a lot of young babies do, there would have been no reason for a haircut to interfere with feeding.

I play on my phone, eat, drink, read newspapers, look in my handbag when I'm getting a haircut ...and I've never had any issues. Feeding a young baby while getting a haircut IMO would be easier and less interference than those things.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't understand how you don't understand how they could have continued the haircut?

Unless mum was super perky, her boobs would not have been in the way of her hair when it was being cut.
    And assuming the mother was sitting down and the baby was feeding quietly like a lot of young babies do, there would have been no reason for a haircut to interfere with feeding.

I play on my phone, eat, drink, read newspapers, look in my handbag when I'm getting a haircut ...and I've never had any issues. Feeding a young baby while getting a haircut IMO would be easier and less interference than those things.
    Yeah I do all those things do too and I'm a bottle blonde so I'm at the salon every five to six weeks- and I usually leave my six month old with my mum or dp. However I can't envision being comfortable and bf while getting a haircut and I think the hairdresser would be concerned about bumping the baby under the smock, I know I would be

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Doesnt matter if its doable or not...if the stylist didnt want to continue she shouldnt be forced to. She left (for whatever reason) and after some time someone else was available to finish the job. The feeding mother has no right to tell the workers how to do their job or in what time frame to do it in. Again, she wasnt told to stop or leave or cover up or offered a hidden place to feed in, so IMO she was not being discriminated against.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (24-05-2013),Guest654  (24-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (24-05-2013),Maybelline  (24-05-2013),VanityFey  (24-05-2013),~BEXTER~  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Doesnt matter if its doable or not...if the stylist didnt want to continue she shouldnt be forced to. She left (for whatever reason) and after some time someone else was available to finish the job. The feeding mother has no right to tell the workers how to do their job or in what time frame to do it in. Again, she wasnt told to stop or leave or cover up or offered a hidden place to feed in, so IMO she was not being discriminated against.
    Is this a realistic approach though in a workplace? I've been in customer service roles before and we haven't really been given the freedom to pick and choose who we give service to regardless of our reasoning, mood, beliefs or comfort level. Leaving in the middle of a transaction just because we felt like it would have been kind of unacceptable. The focus was always on making the experience good for the customer, even when the customer was a royal pain in the rear.

Have I just had really hard **** employers or have things just changed a lot?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (25-05-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Is this a realistic approach though in a workplace? I've been in customer service roles before and we haven't really been given the freedom to pick and choose who we give service to regardless of our reasoning, mood, beliefs or comfort level. Leaving in the middle of a transaction just because we felt like it would have been kind of unacceptable. The focus was always on making the experience good for the customer, even when the customer was a royal pain in the rear.

Have I just had really hard **** employers or have things just changed a lot?
    She might have gone to her boss and said "that woman is breastfeeding so I'll just wait till she's done" (again for whatever reason...could be comfort level, safety, assumed the mother would want privacy...dont know her reason) and the boss could have said "ok" ...it could have been as simple as that.
    Never know, some bosses might be fine with their workers doing this on rare occasions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I disagree. It absolutely matters if it was do-able or not. A woman's right to breastfeed her baby is protected by law. Unless the feeding interfered with the cutting of the hair, the Hairdresser had no right to stop cutting the ladies hair.

Breastfeeding making someone feel uncomfortable just doesnt cut it. Once upon a time people felt uncomfortable serving black people in restaurants and pubs, and that wasnt right either. People need to get over their childish little discriminatory fears: expecting the discriminated against to isolate themselves is not the answer.

You said the woman wasn't told to stop or leave... But I believe she was humiliated. How embarassing to be legally feeding your baby and then have someone refuse to serve you.

IMO it's not more acceptable than a waiter telling a breastfeeding mother "I won't serve you a coffee until you finish feeding."

So if your breastfeeding a baby while you are in a cafe does that mean he wait staff can refuse to serve you? How about if you're going through the checkout at a supermarket?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013),jellybeanicecream  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yeah I do all those things do too and I'm a bottle blonde so I'm at the salon every five to six weeks- and I usually leave my six month old with my mum or dp. However I can't envision being comfortable and bf while getting a haircut and I think the hairdresser would be concerned about bumping the baby under the smock, I know I would be

Assuming the baby was feeding quietly and not wriggling around, there shouldn't be no reason why the hairdresser couldn't continue. Unless she was totally hopeless. In which case I wouldn't let her near my boobs/ears/eye with a pair of scissors let alone my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But she wasnt refused service. Her service was delayed.

The stylist didnt make a scene...she didnt gasp..she didnt do anything except leave the mother be. Like Ive said, we dont know the reason why she did and it COULD have been as innocent as her assuming the mother would want privacy. She might have thought she was doing the right thing by giving the mum some time to feed her baby. She might have thought the mother would not want to have her cut continue while she fed. We dont KNOW these things and I think its funny that we instantly assume the stylist scoffed and waltzed away, REFUSING to finish the job.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

delirium  (25-05-2013),Guest654  (25-05-2013),hopefulmama2b  (24-05-2013),Jenga  (24-05-2013),risfaerie  (25-05-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast