Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think this was a combo of poor communication and ignorance that looks like discrimination on the surface but probably wasnt a conscious act of discrimination iykwim?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-05-2013),Boobycino  (24-05-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (23-05-2013),risfaerie  (23-05-2013),snowqu33n  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think this was a combo of poor communication and ignorance that looks like discrimination on the surface but probably wasnt a conscious act of discrimination iykwim?
    Totally agree with this

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I don't think the mother has jumped on the publicity bandwagon at all. From what I have read since this situation arose none of the planned nurse in went ahead because she couldn't be contacted- she wasn't the instigator.

I think really we need to be considerate of the situation. This article firstly is totally different to what has been relayed in other newspapers. Everything I have read until this article indicated that the hairdresser walked off mid haircut without explaination and then when the feed was finished she was told by another hairdresser that she missed her haircut being finished because she was feeding her baby and a junior was offered only on her complaints. Feeding your baby under a smock may be something she felt was necessary because of the way community keeps relaying the message for needing to be discreet.

Ultimately she is a newish Mum, trying to get a haircut and keep her baby happy. If she had left her baby to cry or had her breast exposed she would've been judged by some too. You cannot please everyone. Lets give her a break.... there is already so much pressure on how to breastfeed 'acceptably' without this type of judgement.
    I would have given her a break if she hadn't have gone to the meda and got family members to harass the salon too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    I would have given her a break if she hadn't have gone to the meda and got family members to harass the salon too
    If she was truly discriminated against (as I wasn't there, I don't know) then she was right to expose it. I don't think anyone should downplay discrimination or just put up with it. I also don't know that the family harassed the salon. I can tell you one thing I have learned- the media tells us the story it wants to tell, and it doesn't let a minor thing like the exact truth get in the way.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),jellybeanicecream  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have some sympathy for her. I've been in that position where you're stuck somewhere with your baby, they start screaming and you are acutely sensitive of people around getting annoyed over the noise. I imagine her child was crying, the only thing that will settle her is a feed, and she doesn't want to ask the hairdresser to stop while she feeds because she doesn't want to waste her time. So she does what seems like the least inconvenient thing for everyone and pops the baby under the cape for a feed. In my experience little babies are fairly still when feeding, unlike the older ones.

Ive been on planes and in restaurants with a screaming baby and felt that "damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

My hunch is that the hairdresser did have an issue with the breastfeeding thing, and the owner has elected to back her with a story designed to make themselves look better (protecting themselves on the discrimination front) and the mum look bad..."it was out of concern for her privacy...the hairdresser ran out of time" etc etc. Taking off mid haircut without explanation and just leaving her sitting there smacks of someone cracking it, certainly not someone concerned and keen to smooth things over peacefully. It's easy for them to day, "We have no issue with breastfeeding" "I cut hair while women feed often"...those statements might be true or they might be spin.

Just my take on it all...who knows!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jellybeanicecream For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),duckduckgoose  (24-05-2013),Stiflers Mom  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just for reference, I am a hair stylist, and this is an issue I've encountered. Not just with breastfeeding but with clients needing to bring their children in when their having a service done.

Would I stop cutting if a client needed to feed their child (on their lap/breastfeeding/not securely in a pram) most definitely! I cannot even wear open shoes at work due to OH&S. Am I going to cut hair over an infant, most definitely not!
    I won't do colour services with a child in their lap/arms either. Three risks and consequences are just to high.

My solution is usually booking a regular client with a young baby/infant a longer time slot, this way if I need to give them time its not going to make me run to late for the rest of the day, therefor unconvincing my other clients. Most mums I've explained this to are grateful and now know to mention it when booking appointments.

I Definitely think the stylist in question should have explained why they were steeping away, but the fact they were going to let *another* person finish the *hair cut* speaks volumes, to me that screams of a cheap, tacky hair salon.
    Sent from my G100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VanityFey For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (24-05-2013),wannawannabe  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just watched the sunrise interview....wow talk about awkward!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by melimum View Post
    Just watched the sunrise interview....wow talk about awkward!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    So awkward hey! And whether or not the mother was right or wrong, the interview was terribly one sided. Gee she must have felt attacked. They also really needed to have the hairdresser on as well so you could hear her side in person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Unless the kid was wriggling around the hairdresser had no right to stop the haircut. And I don't think the mother would have allowed the haircut to continue if the kid was wriggling around: she wouldn't want her baby hurt.
    - No way I'd bf my toddler while getting a haircut. My newborn-7 month old: yeah I would if I couldn't get a sitter.

If there's a mole in this story it's not the breastfeeding mother. She would have felt humiliated.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),duckduckgoose  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a mummy wanted to be on TV!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (26-05-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast