Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've seen this woman interviewed so many times now...seems like she can't get enough of the publicity. She comes across like a total mole. I'm not in the least bit surprised that the salon owner did his 'nana on the phone. I'm sure his only regret is letting it be recorded on a voicemail.

Women like this who jump up and down and scream 'discrimination' over the slightest misunderstanding just serve to make the community less tolerant of breast feeding. She comes across as completely smug and self-righteous on the TV, alludes to suing for 'emotional trauma' etc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

oozzle  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe the hairdresser did say something, and she didn't hear. Maybe not. Maybe she thought she was being polite by stepping away to give privacy.

At my salon, hairdressers sometimes step away to talk to someone, or answer a phone, and they don't always give a reason. I don't think that a minor lapse of courtesy deserves the woman in question contacting media outlets about it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Yeh, that's what I mean. I think if anything she was treated like an inconvenience for breastfeeding and I don't think that's right. I saw a terrible one sided interview with her on Sunrise the other day (I know, what was I thinking watching that cr*p) but I felt a bit sorry for her because at the very least, she wasn't treated very professionally.
    Unfortunately she probably was being a bit of an inconvienience. Most hairdressers book time slots....if a worker has to walk away from her client (whatever the reason) then it is inconvieniencing the salon. As the owner said, they were then falling behind and had to send another worker to finish the job.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (24-05-2013),VanityFey  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    I find it a bit odd though that the hairdresser would just leave mid haircut (if that's what happened) without a word and then not come back? If it was a health and safety thing, obviously the mum didn't realise this and it would of been just as easy for the hairdresser to just tell her client that she was worried about getting hair on the baby or dropping her scissors, or whatever and that she would come back when she had finished feeding.
    In one article I read the owner was quoted saying he cuts hair while women breastfeed, so it can't be a h&s thing.

Also I've had that thought too FearlessLeader, could a Cafe then also refuse me a coffee in case I spill it on my baby?!

I haven't had my hair cut since I was pregnant because I can't leave katelyn (14 months) for even 10 minutes - seriously I ran out to get milk this morning and left her with df and she had full tears and snot streaking down her face, apparently she'd cried the whole time. Ugh. So if I wasn't prepared to have long hair I'd be in the same boat of needing to go into a salon and say just cut it, get it done, no I can't put her down.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Boobycino; 23-05-2013 at 19:28.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think the hairdresser just stepped away though. She left her for half an hour from what I heard without so much as a word, even after she had finished feeding. And if the hairdresser ran out of time, then how hard is it just to tell the client that. They played a part in making a mountain out of a molehill as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Totally just speculating, as I wasn't there obviously - but it sounds like when she started breastfeeding the hair dresser got uncomfortable and walked away. She decided to give the mother space assuming that the discomfort was mutual, because they said they were just trying to give her privacy, and then didn't know how to go back over and just explain. Because okay sure some people just don't know how to approach or talk to a breastfeeding mother.

The thing is, I imagine if it was me, and katelyn cried and I picked her up if the hairdresser said "I don't really feel comfortable cutting hair around a wiggly baby, do you mind if I come back to you or how long is she likely to feed etc?" that would be a totally different conversation than leaving me for 25 minutes and then saying they've got another client. I'd be much more receptive to discuss waiting with a magazine than waiting all that time to be told sorry - times up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (24-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I reckon what's happened is that mum started feeding without saying anything. hairdresser got jack of clients doing whatever they pleased while she was cutting their hair, and walked off in a sh!t. Nothing to do with BFing, just that the mum didn't even bother asking if it was ok. And before people jump up and down and say 'you shouldn't have to ask if its ok to feed your baby', if it may impact on someone doing their job, then yes you do. It's common courtesy.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've just read a couple more articles. In regards to the message from the salon owner, apparently the mother, AND several of her family members all rang the salon? If this is the case, I can see the frustration from the owner's side too, tbh. Getting several people to ring and complain seems like overkill, and I can understand how such behaviour could provoke such a message, depending on the nature of the complaints.

I think the difference for me between this and other recent discrimination issues is that regarding the other issues in the media, it all seemed upfront. This feels like a half story, if you get my drift.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-05-2013),Cue  (23-05-2013),Guest654  (23-05-2013),wannawannabe  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I reckon what's happened is that mum started feeding without saying anything. hairdresser got jack of clients doing whatever they pleased while she was cutting their hair, and walked off in a sh!t. Nothing to do with BFing, just that the mum didn't even bother asking if it was ok. And before people jump up and down and say 'you shouldn't have to ask if its ok to feed your baby', if it may impact on someone doing their job, then yes you do. It's common courtesy.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yeps! If your phone rang and it was an important call, you'd say something about I need to take this call, you wouldn't just put the phone to your ear mid cut?

personally if I was the hairdresser I'd be worried about messing up the haircut, seeing as there's a higher chance of her moving suddenly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'd like to know whether the photo was taken before or after the hair cut. Not a great advertisement for the salon - THAT I'd be annoyed about if I was the salon owner.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

melimum  (23-05-2013),risfaerie  (23-05-2013)