Closed Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    And that's thing, most mums will usually ask or say they need to feed, is it ok. Just common courtesy while someone is in the middle of servicing your body.
    I'm sure it would have opened a line of communication.
    Servicing your body it's a bit dramatic. It's just a haircut.

Perhaps the mother should have asked. The hairdresser flat out saying "no" would have been much better for the anti-discrimination case than the hairdresser simply walking out (which has left things open to interpretation).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    But she wasnt refused service. Her service was delayed.

The stylist didnt make a scene...she didnt gasp..she didnt do anything except leave the mother be. Like Ive said, we dont know the reason why she did and it COULD have been as innocent as her assuming the mother would want privacy. She might have thought she was doing the right thing by giving the mum some time to feed her baby. She might have thought the mother would not want to have her cut continue while she fed. We dont KNOW these things and I think its funny that we instantly assume the stylist scoffed and waltzed away, REFUSING to finish the job.
    Yep, agree. I'm usually all in favour of bfing rights I've been very supportive of nurse ins blah blah. But honestly? I don't think she was discriminated against. Her cut was held off bc she was bfing. The hairdresser probably was worried she may drop scissors or hair on the baby that it inhaled. Or the jerky movements may effect the cut. So she walked away. She had another finish her cut bc quite simply, they have time allottments like a lot of trades and the hairdresser needed to move onto someone else.

Granted, she could have communicated to the customer that she was worried about safety or ruining the cut and that she would wait. But as others have said, I chalk this up to a miscommunication. Now if they had refused to finish her cut and asked her to leave.... then i would be the first one to call discrimination. I think alot of assumptions are being made that bc she was bfing it must of been to do with being judging for bfing in public.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (25-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (25-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (26-05-2013),oozzle  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep, agree. I'm usually all in favour of bfing rights I've been very supportive of nurse ins blah blah. But honestly? I don't think she was discriminated against. Her cut was held off bc she was bfing. The hairdresser probably was worried she may drop scissors or hair on the baby that it inhaled. Or the jerky movements may effect the cut. So she walked away. She had another finish her cut bc quite simply, they have time allottments like a lot of trades and the hairdresser needed to move onto someone else.

Granted, she could have communicated to the customer that she was worried about safety or ruining the cut and that she would wait. But as others have said, I chalk this up to a miscommunication. Now if they had refused to finish her cut and asked her to leave.... then i would be the first one to call discrimination. I think alot of assumptions are being made that bc she was bfing it must of been to do with being judging for bfing in public.
    Just to reiterate, the hairdresser did not cite any safety issues or anything else at the time, only "privacy". That's the bit that stands out to me, and the not saying anything and just walking off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Servicing your body it's a bit dramatic. It's just a haircut.

Perhaps the mother should have asked. The hairdresser flat out saying "no" would have been much better for the anti-discrimination case than the hairdresser simply walking out (which has left things open to interpretation).
    Why is it dramatic? How else do I explain it, I'm not just talking about a haircut, I'm talking about anything that involves service to your body. Obviously when someone is doing something to you and you then have to attach your baby to you it could affect them in doing their job, or because of their close proximity, it's just a common courtesy thing. If someone was servicing me in a shop while buying something it's different, so I have to say 'servicing your body' because that's what they're doing. I did the same when I had scan, it's just something you do, you tell the person touching you you have to stop and feed, is it ok if you feed while they keep going? etc. really it's not hard. Normal social behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My (very overpriced) hairdresser gets the poo's if i use my phone, cross my legs or pretty much do anything that might stuff up her cut. I suspect she would probably feel exactly the same about BFing while getting a cut and can say with absolute certainty it wouldn't be discrimination because I know what she's like and how much of a perfectionist she is. That's why I go to her.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (25-05-2013),VanityFey  (26-05-2013),wannawannabe  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everyone keeps stating that she paid for a more senior hairdresser. I don't know about you, but I pay for my cut afterwards. Who's to say that the salon wouldn't have charged her less since she ended with a more junior stylist?

It was her first time at that salon, she probably booked with whomever was available, not specifically picked this hair stylist, unless they were recommended...but I have a feeling if the hairstylist was recommended by a friend you'd probably have a bit more patience or willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's an obvious miscommunication. Nobody has handled the situation well and it has been blown way out of proportion. I am a massive bf supporter but this is all a bit over the top in my opinion, from what I know of the story. There is so much more happening in the world right now, I can't believe how much the media has jumped on this.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 25-05-2013 at 20:31.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (26-05-2013),melimum  (26-05-2013),snowqu33n  (25-05-2013),wannawannabe  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    My (very overpriced) hairdresser gets the poo's if i use my phone, cross my legs or pretty much do anything that might stuff up her cut. I suspect she would probably feel exactly the same about BFing while getting a cut and can say with absolute certainty it wouldn't be discrimination because I know what she's like and how much of a perfectionist she is. That's why I go to her.
    Yes--I always get told off for crossing my legs!

And I also have had many cuts where hair goes all over my front and in my face, and in my mouth, and up my nose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the baby had been hurt or the hair cut ruined as a result of the mother breast feeding the hair dresser would be blamed for not stopping. It was simply a communication problem, not discrimination & most definitely blown out of proportion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    And that's thing, most mums will usually ask or say they need to feed, is it ok. Just common courtesy while someone is in the middle of servicing your body.
    I'm sure it would have opened a line of communication.
    Really? Servicing your body. That's where you go with it. Come on. It's a baby on a Breast. People need to grow up.

Hair in babies face or mouth, fine. Accidentally cut with scissors, okay I can see how someone might think that's reasonable. But refusing to serve the body of a breastfeeding woman? I don't have that much hair on my nipple so I don't really see the issue.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013),Mathermy  (26-05-2013),VicPark  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the lady was do offended why didn't she say anything for the 25 minutes (I think she said) that she was feeding? That would have indicated to me that she was ok with the fact that the hair dresser stopped whilst she fed. If that was the case and her hair dresser was then busy with another client then what is the hair dresser expected to do?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

Olin  (26-05-2013)