Closed Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 189
  1. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    rejection of a junior cutting her hair shows me she was rude and obnoxious over it. .
    It's amazing how differently people see things. I see the rejection of the junior hairdresser as the mother standing up and saying "you can not humiliate me by walking away from cutting my hair because I am feeding my baby... and then expect me to sit around, with the people I was humiliated in front of, while you finish the service under your own narrowminded terms and conditions."

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    As someone who has bf 3 babies anywhere and everywhere I don't agree. Yes it's incredibly natural, but it's just basic manners. It's just letting someone who is performing a service for you know what you're about to do - she didn't need to ask permission. I have a good friend who works in an industry like this and I know it gets up their nose when people treat them like they don't exist.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (25-05-2013),Kirst33  (25-05-2013),VanityFey  (26-05-2013)

  4. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    56
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I say that breastfeeding is such a normal thing .... that the hairdresser had no right to be offended...that the onus was on the hairdresser to say "excuse me ma'am would you like me to continue cutting or would you like a short break?."
    That's where it's wrong though. If someone doesn't want to touch you while you're feeding, that is completely their choice and their right to do so. You can't dictate to anyone what they can or can't do to you just because you're bfeeding. It's one thing to tell a mother to cover up, stop feeding, get out because you're bfeeding and an other thing to stop doing something while she feeds and resume when she stops.
    Just because you're a bfeeding mother, you don't stop respecting other people, you're still required to be polite, considerate, respect the other person. I never started feeding my baby in the middle of someone servicing me, not without telling them I need to. It reminds me of when I got a scan done and my baby was screaming for a feed, I asked him to stop because I needed to feed my baby, is it ok if I do while you continue, and he said yes. if he said no I'll wait till you're done I'll go see someone else that is perfectly acceptable. He never said get out, stop feeding you can't feed in here, cover up etc. It's just common blardy courtesy, just because you're a mum doesn't mean you stop respecting other people.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Olin For This Useful Post:

    VanityFey  (26-05-2013)

  6. #114
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    How was she humiliated? Because they stopped for her to feed then offered someone else to finish her cut? Really harden up lady, it wasn't the end of the world. Hardly a thing to get humiliated over and then she could of nicely explained why she felt it wasn't good enough. Going by the owners phone call, she harassed them over it. Hardly a poor innocent woman she's making out to be, probably why her details are sketchy.
    Breastfeeding is still not 100% accepted by society and for some mothers it takes a lot of bravery and balls to feed in public. To be ignored and shunned by a hairdresser, in front of a salon of people, would be humiliating.

    So... Say back in the 1960's when Rosa Parks (an African American) was told to give up her seat on the bus for a white man... Would you have told her "harden up its not the end of the world"?

    If everyone was apathetic like that we'd still have segregated pubs, women would still be tied to the kitchen sink.

    Good on the mother I say for not putting up with crap from a childish, narrowminded hairdresser. Actually, by refusing their second rate apology she showed more balls than if she just bent over and accepted being treated like a second class citizen.

    I've said it before and is say it again.

    If a hairdresser can't cut the hair of someone who is quietly feeding a non wriggling baby then they are either:
    1) a real bad hairdresser or
    2) a childish narrowminded person.

    Either way they're a ****.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013),Star Light  (25-05-2013)

  8. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    56
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's amazing how differently people see things. I see the rejection of the junior hairdresser as the mother standing up and saying "you can not humiliate me by walking away from cutting my hair because I am feeding my baby... and then expect me to sit around, with the people I was humiliated in front of, while you finish the service under your own narrowminded terms and conditions."
    We're only seeing what we want though. In my mind, the hairdresser was probably thinking she's being polite by letting her feed in peace and just walked away without thinking, and when questioned said it's for privacy, in her mind the mothers privacy to feed in peace, really innocently you know? Then a clients come in, the mothers still feeding so she thought she'll start on them, and when shes finshed they've thought oh she's busy now, do you want this person to finish it? And this mother has arked up and been a royal bi!tch about it. You know, when you paint the picture for other people to make them into villains, its unfair because really, you don't know what happened or what they were thinking. Not everything is done with malice or intent. Her reaction is on her aswell.

  9. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Also I'm no feminist by any stretch of the imagination but I can't believe the lack of understanding and support for this breastfeeding mother. Just because she didnt react how y'all would have. It's Lindy Chamberlain all over.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

  11. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    56
    Reviews
    0
    VicPark I don't see it like that at all.

  12. #118
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    Mis communication, no communication ??? Were you there to know exactly what was said and how she was treated? She has the painted the picture for you Atropos and yes that does show bad character when you paint yourself in light and others as villains, when the reality is there are 2 sides to this story. This was not a case of breastfeeding discrimination. If they kicked her out, if they told her to stop, if they did anything that prevented her from feeding and not offering her service, I'd agree with you. But they didn't do any of that, and her rejection of a junior cutting her hair shows me she was rude and obnoxious over it. Her hair is too precious to be cut by a junior? Especially a cut that was half done and a hairdresser whom I'm sure was more than capable of finishing and doing a good job.
    Everything I have read says the hairdresser walked away without a word- I've not read the salon deny this?? If you have, please could you provide a link?
    I have read commentary from both the mother and the salon. I'm a bit confused- if the mother is telling the truth, which thus far, the salon has confirmed, then how is she painting anyone as anything? She has described the actions of the hairdresser and salon (as confirmed by the salon) and how it made her feel (which is subjective and we are not in a position to tell her she "felt the wrong way" iykwim). Why should she try to make them sound better? There is no onus on her to do so. So far, the salon has not denied the incident and all the owner has said was she left her to breastfeed and that it was her personal choice to do so, and that he himself has cut hair while a mother bf'd her child.
    Also, why are you allowed to make assumptions (like that it was a safety issue, that it was not discriminatory, that the mother was rude and obnoxious, that the junior was more than capable of finishing the cut, that the mother is of bad character- just to name a few things you've said) but when I give an opinion based on what all the articles say and what the legislation says, you tell me I wasn't there and wouldn't know?? Unless there's something you're not telling us, you also weren't there!
    My main point is, to DENY someone a service because they are breastfeeding is indeed considered discrimination. I would have a much easier time believing this was not such an incident if the hairdresser had said "I can't cut your hair while you bf due to OH&S" as opposed to nothing at all, followed by "privacy reasons" when questioned.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    butterfly2013  (26-05-2013),Star Light  (25-05-2013),Stiflers Mom  (25-05-2013)

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    We're only seeing what we want though. In my mind, the hairdresser was probably thinking she's being polite by letting her feed in peace and just walked away without thinking, and when questioned said it's for privacy, in her mind the mothers privacy to feed in peace, really innocently you know? Then a clients come in, the mothers still feeding so she thought she'll start on them, and when shes finshed they've thought oh she's busy now, do you want this person to finish it? And this mother has arked up and been a royal bi!tch about it. You know, when you paint the picture for other people to make them into villains, its unfair because really, you don't know what happened or what they were thinking. Not everything is done with malice or intent. Her reaction is on her aswell.
    I see your point. *if* this really is the case the staff member involved needs some communication training. It's not OK to walk away from a client like that.

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I think it is now time to cave and just agree that the hair dresser is the devil for deciding for whatever reason to press pause on the cut while she bf. Obviously the mother had been humiliated beyond belief for feeding her baby while her hair was being cut. she even admitted she didn't think of the safety side of things but hey she should be put on a pedestal because she is a "proud public breast feeder" and that is all that matters. O M G

    Head meet wall.

    Is there not a time and place for bf.
    If a baby was wanting a feed but the mother was driving, does the mother just shove baby to the boob or does she pull over and stop driving to feed? You can't exactly argue in court "but your honour, I have every legal right to bf when and wherever I choose to."


    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub
    Apples and oranges. It is obviously illegal to bf while driving. It is not illegal to bf while getting a haircut. No one said the hairdresser was the devil or that the other must be put on a pedestal. I think it was most likely a combo of ignorance and lack of communication that looks very discriminatory from the outside.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Breastfeeding positions for out in public
    By OneWithUnagi in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 18:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!