Closed Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olin View Post
    And that's where the error in miscommunication comes into play and I accept that. But the hairdresser does have a right to stop service if there is a health and safety concern, the law is open to interpretation and it depends on each individual circumstance. In this circumstance she has scissors in her hands and fine hair falling everywhere around the baby!!!??? I'm sorry, but your need to feed a baby doesn't mean someone puts their job and workplace at risk, no law will accept that. I have a hard time finding a hairdresser who's willing to cut my kids hair, and I end up doing it myself; because of the risk they face cutting them, and possible lawsuit by me. They have the right to refuse when it concerns health and safety, I accept that. I don't feel the world revolves around my kids and everyone must accommodate them. And no, the salon, clients and hairdresser shouldn't have to wait either and push all their appointments back, you have to be considerate as a feeding mother awell, if you have a hairdresser that has no issue with you feeding while cutting your hair great, if not I think its more than acceptable to respect that. Again, they didn't kick her out, they didn't stop her feeding, they didn't refuse service because they offered someone else to finish it, just not while she was feeding. Getting a junior to finish your haircut is better than walking out with a half finished haircut and contacting the media over it for attention. It's just hair and she needed to get over it, it wasn't a genuine discrimination case against a baby feeding in public and it puts a bad stain on what mums are working towards to have people accept their rights to feed in public. This is why people call mums inconsiderate, things like this
    I don't buy the safety argument for one second. Fine hair my ar$e, what a ridiculous excuse. And if the hairdresser can't work a pair of scissors while a mother is quietly feeding her still baby then that hairdresser needs to go back to hairdressing school.

Breastfeeding is legal. And for a hairdresser to stop cutting and ask someone else to finish the cut well that is rude and humiliating for the mother. It is not an 'acceptable' compromise. The mother has every right to kick up a stink.

I find the argument that the mother needs to be considerate of the hairdressers uncomfortableness to be ridiculous. If people pandered to everyone that was uncomfortable with breastfeeding, serving black people in restaurants, working women ..... Then we'd still be living in a world where women stayed home all day, had slaves to help with the housework... Well Im sure you get the picture I'm trying to paint.
    Last edited by VicPark; 25-05-2013 at 12:02.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (25-05-2013),Bubbles10  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this is ridiculous. It can take hours at the hairdresser and I've been twice so far with my baby, and fed him when hungry. No big deal and everyone took it for granted that I would. I find this thread quite amusing.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (25-05-2013),Atropos  (25-05-2013),butterfly2013  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What's ridiculous is that a story like this would even rate a mention in the media in the first place. The whole story is vague at best and we can sit here all day and speculate what did or didn't happen and who did or didn't feel uncomfortable. Honestly, who cares? I'm pretty sure no one died. The net result was that the baby got fed, the mother got her haircut. End of story.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't buy the safety argument for one second. Fine hair my ar$e, what a ridiculous excuse. And if the hairdresser can't work a pair of scissors while a mother is quietly feeding her still baby then that hairdresser needs to go back to hairdressing school.

Breastfeeding is legal. And for a hairdresser to stop cutting and ask someone else to finish the cut well that is rude and humiliating for the mother. It is not an 'acceptable' compromise. The mother has every right to kick up a stink.

I find the argument that the mother needs to be considerate of the hairdressers uncomfortableness to be ridiculous. If people pandered to everyone that was uncomfortable with breastfeeding, serving black people in restaurants, working women ..... Then we'd still be living in a world where women stayed home all day, had slaves to help with the housework... Well Im sure you get the picture I'm trying to paint.
    I never said you need to be considerate to people being uncomfortable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Olin For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (26-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But if you aren't confident cutting someones hair while they're holding their baby I think that is more than fair and that's where you have to be considerate towards them. If she did drop the scissors or got hair in the babies eyes, what then? Still blame the hairdresser for being shi!t at her job? It's not all about you because you have a baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I never said you need to be considerate to people being uncomfortable.
    Ok ill rephrase: 'Expecting the mum to put up with being humiliated.'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But if you aren't confident cutting someones hair while they're holding their baby I think that is more than fair and that's where you have to be considerate towards them. If she did drop the scissors or got hair in the babies eyes, what then? Still blame the hairdresser for being shi!t at her job? It's not all about you because you have a baby.
    Have you ever had a hairdresser drop their scissors on you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Have you ever had a hairdresser drop their scissors on you?
    It's not the point though is it? The person holding the scissors needs to feel confident they won't harm the baby by a mishap, if they don't then they have a right to feel that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Ok ill rephrase: 'Expecting the mum to put up with being humiliated.'
    How was she humiliated? Because they stopped for her to feed then offered someone else to finish her cut? Really harden up lady, it wasn't the end of the world. Hardly a thing to get humiliated over and then she could of nicely explained why she felt it wasn't good enough. Going by the owners phone call, she harassed them over it. Hardly a poor innocent woman she's making out to be, probably why her details are sketchy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I think this is ridiculous. It can take hours at the hairdresser and I've been twice so far with my baby, and fed him when hungry. No big deal and everyone took it for granted that I would. I find this thread quite amusing.
    I agree! The one time I had to feed my baby while getting a haircut no-one batted an eyelid! And it never occurred to me it would be an issue! My only concern was shutting my kid up so the rest of the salon didn't have to listen to a baby scream!