Closed Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default More breastfeeding in public dramas

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/elt...-1226647145686

TBH this woman sounds like a right cow!!!!

I feel sorry for the poor baby being stuck under that heavy smock and I think the hairdressers did nothing wrong stopping the cut and waiting for her to breastfeed her baby. I'm assuming that the woman wasn't holding the baby prior to feeding it, and that they would have done the same if you needed to feed your baby from a bottle. I don't it would have been safe to continue with the haircut with a baby in your arms, regardless as to whether its feeding or not.

Not helping the cause at all......

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have breast fed at the hairdressers before but I made sure it was after the hair cut or I asked the hairdresser if we could resume once I was finished feeding for the fact I couldn't keep my head still & I didn't want hair on my baby!

This mother's actions seem a bit over the top...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy18 For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This has been going for a few days... They didn't stop her breast feeding, they stopped cutting her hair whilst she breast fed. The only problem I see is a lack of communication between the two parties. When she was asked in one of many interviews she has been doing what would happen if the hair dresser dropped the scissors and hurt the baby she said she didn't think of the safety aspect. Personally I think cases like this make it harder for genuine discrimination cases.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This story did confuse me a little. It doesn't seem to add up. Not saying that the actions of the hairdresser were right, but it really seems to me like more of a miscommunication issue to begin with.

As for the message left on her phone, what was being said to them to provoke a request for her to "stop harassing them"? And who was saying it?

I firmly support a mother's right to feed their child, I just don't understand why this was escalated to national news level so quickly.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Seems to me that the mum took it the wrong way and made a situation out of nothing. Nobody tried to stop or restrict her....dont see what the mothers problem was to be honest.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (29-05-2013),Kiplusthree  (24-05-2013),Maybelline  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sometimes I think people just like to have something to whinge about. It sounds like they had no problem with her feeding the baby, but their concerns were perhaps the safety of the baby and the inability to cut the clients hair properly if she's looking down at the baby.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds very strange. I can't imagine most hairdressers wanting to cut hair when a woman is feeding a small baby - regardless of whether it's bottle or breast. Too many concerns about safety and/ or sudden movements!

It sounds as if this may be a bit of bandwagon jumping/ publicity grabbing from the mother in question.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-05-2013),F&A  (23-05-2013),Mod-Myztik  (23-05-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah I can't imagine my hairdresser would be terribly impressed if I had a wriggly infant on my lap, feeding or not. They can't actually do their job properly if you're not sitting still. And you can't guarantee you'll be still when BFing. I had one especially bossy hairdresser tell me when to take a sip of coffee.
    Although I have to laugh at the 'scissors could fall on the baby's head!' business. Eh, I eat with a fork and drink hot drinks while BFing all the time. OHS! DOCS! Somebody take the poor baby away
    Mountain out of a molehill

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (23-05-2013),Mulva  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I don't think the mother has jumped on the publicity bandwagon at all. From what I have read since this situation arose none of the planned nurse in went ahead because she couldn't be contacted- she wasn't the instigator.

I think really we need to be considerate of the situation. This article firstly is totally different to what has been relayed in other newspapers. Everything I have read until this article indicated that the hairdresser walked off mid haircut without explaination and then when the feed was finished she was told by another hairdresser that she missed her haircut being finished because she was feeding her baby and a junior was offered only on her complaints. Feeding your baby under a smock may be something she felt was necessary because of the way community keeps relaying the message for needing to be discreet.

Ultimately she is a newish Mum, trying to get a haircut and keep her baby happy. If she had left her baby to cry or had her breast exposed she would've been judged by some too. You cannot please everyone. Lets give her a break.... there is already so much pressure on how to breastfeed 'acceptably' without this type of judgement.
    I totally understand where you are coming from, especially in regards the the last paragraph. I guess the thing for me is that really does appear to be more of a miscommunication than a blatant act of discrimination. Does this mean that every miscommunication is going to become national news? Surely education is more appropriate in some circumstances than public shaming?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Mountain out of a molehill
    Exactly.

I think a mother should be able to breastfeed wherever she needs to. But, If I was in her position I would have apologised to the hairdresser and asked if she'd mind coming back to me when bub was fed. If my baby needs feeding that's my problem, not theirs. Not getting to finish stuff because bub needs food/nappy/sleep/has spewed everywhere is part of the gig I'm afraid!

If the staff had told her she can't feed in the salon at all that'd be a different story.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (23-05-2013),oozzle  (24-05-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast