+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby flu shot?

I've just been told babies can get flu shots. I'm wondering whether to get it.

DS goes to childcare, so there's good reason to get it.
    OTOH, babies don't seem to 'suffer' as much from flu as adults, would it be better to let them train their immune systems?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Babies can absolutely suffer from flu and end up in hospital very seriously ill!

Babies older than 6 months can get the flu vax, it is administered in two half doses one month apart.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

catbox  (23-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    for me personally I wouldn't give it to a baby, but that's me.. i'd look at boosting his/her immune system with good probiotics, diet and vitamins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids had them (except the yr the pulled the program in WA). Last season only me and my youngest had them. My DH and elder son got the flu and it took my son out of school for 2 weeks. He had horrible fevers, dehydrated, it was awful. It knocked my DH around as well.

Me and the younger one got a sniffle.

This year we have all been done. My DH took the boys and the DR said the eldest didn't need it. My DH insisted. Next yr they will get done as well because we will have the new bub. The following yr probably not unless there is a super bug going around.

Go with what is right for you, maybe have a chat with your CHN or GP for a professional opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GP is generally a bit vague, he'll tell it's avail but won't make a professional opinion either way. Last year nobody got flu, but it's hard to say what a season will be like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies are the ones most at risk and the ones to end up in hospital. I am really surprised more people don't get babies and kids vaccinated for the flu. I had my baby done at 10 months. She got a bit of a temp with the 2nd dose but was fine otherwise. It makes me feel a bit more secure that she is protected from either getting it or if she does it won't be severe and stop complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had it done, and both my boys have had the first half, will get the second half in 3 weeks, the are 4 and 21 mths. Both the boys got a bad strain of the H1n1 virus last year (influenza a) and they were so sick. With bubs due mid July I'm not risking it this year

Thanks
    Reviews
    we got our 1st dose, very easy and no fever at all
    surprising it's not part of the vax pack info