+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    To you it's not! SIDS also recommend baby sleeping in your room until 12 months. Are you an irresponsible parent then for leaving them on their own from 6 months? They also suggest dummies reduce the risk of SIDS. Are all parents who don't use a dummy irresponsible?
    Actually Sids recommend 6-12mths re having baby sleep in your room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We kept dd in our room for 6 months.

I would never do co sleeping myself but i dont judge those that do.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do you explain low rates of SIDS (much smaller than here) in countries where co sleeping is the norm?
    That's right...my DH is from a part of rural Thailand where co-sleeping is what everyone does. In fact he had never heard of babies sleeping apart from their parents until he met people from western countries. He can't recall anyone he knows having a baby die at home (although several have died in hospital of various illnesses). I do wonder about the matter of bacteria in mattresses mentioned in some posts above - in general, at least in DH's village, people sleep on a mat on their wooden floors, not on a soft mattress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah when we bought a new mattress as tempted as we were by a cushy new pillow top mattress we bought a firm mattress because it's our babies sleep space too.

Also dressing warmly and booting my blankets off in katelyn was in the bed when she was little. I saw the adult onsies in target and thought they'd be perfect for cosleeping lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other factors have to be looked at, other than just sharing a sleep space. Smoking, alcohol, legal and illegal drugs,

Nobody seems to want to answer the question...why in other cultures where cosleeping is the norm is there less deaths from SIDS?

http://blog.mosaicmidwifery.com/?p=264
    I'd suggests intentional vs unplanned co-sleeping may also be a factor.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-05-2013),Maybelline  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem with studying something like SIDS is you are trying to isolate factors for a death when none of these factors occur in isolation.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (23-05-2013),snowqu33n  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    And you have done everything to do with parenting by the book I assume? To me it's not rocket science to realise the dangers of co sleeping. Theres no danger to stopping breastfeeding before the recommended time and some people dont have a choice either i might add. Perhaps if people knew families who have been through the loss of losing a child whilst co sleeping or be in the field of work that investigates the deaths of such they may see where I am coming from.
    Nope. Never said I was.
    Fwiw my first was ff- I didn't have a choice. But it has been shown that bf can help prevent SIDS and you recommend stopping that a full year before the foremost health authority in the world and claim there is no danger. My point was that we all make our own risk assessments.

And just so you are aware, my profession does indeed deal with investigating deaths, among other things.

If you don't want to co sleep, that's cool. But it's not appropriate or necessarily accurate for you to imply those that do are risking their children's lives. I'm sure you don't like such accusations levelled at you in RIC threads.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (24-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (24-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-05-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What is RIC?

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014