+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I don't need to explain because I didn't say that I think SIDS is related to co-sleeping. Whether it is or isn't doesn't matter to me because I don't do it. Our boys slept in our room from birth to 6mths.
    This thread and article is about co - sleeping and SIDS.

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't need to explain because I didn't say that I think SIDS is related to co-sleeping. Whether it is or isn't doesn't matter to me because I don't do it. Our boys slept in our room from birth to 6mths.

That's find for you but you've obviously never had a baby that from birth wants to feed around the clock, cries the moment she is not being held or receiving some skin to skin contact and doesn't sleep unless she's being fed or held.

I, and plenty of my co-sleeping peers, are very responsible parents.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (23-05-2013),smallpotatoes  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am very anti co sleeping. I don't think it's worth the risk and would never do it, I actually think its irresponsible to do so but that's just my opinion. There is no way to safely co sleep in my mind. While you may make every effort to make it safe such as ensuring the blankets are pulled down far enough etc it is not necessarily going to remain safe when you are sleeping. I have 2 friends who's babies died whilst co sleeping. One friends baby was suffocated and the other died from SIDS so were the reports from the coroner. I have also come across a few cases of babies dying while co sleeping in my job. It scares me, if I were to co sleep I would not have a good nights sleep worrying and checking on bubs. I just wouldn't do it!
    I'm pretty sure it was you in another thread that said you also don't believe in breastfeeding past 6 months of age which also is thought to increase the risk of SIDS. It's interesting how we each make our risk assessments. FWIW we do cosleep but not full time, only for a few hours each early morning, and I think I am a very responsible parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    But you said you are anti because its not worth the risk. If you don't think it's related to SIDS, what is this "risk" you speak of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    That's find for you but you've obviously never had a baby that from birth wants to feed around the clock, cries the moment she is not being held or receiving some skin to skin contact and doesn't sleep unless she's being fed or held.

I, and plenty of my co-sleeping peers, are very responsible parents.
    Actually ds1 was like that, he had reflux and was a very hungry baby that did need constant feeding in the early months but it didn't mean he had to be in our bed! He was in our room along with a comfy chair I used a lot. I never fed him in bed and we never risked his life having him sleep in the bed with us. Doing it this way also meant our children learnt to self settle and became good sleepers on their own, we didn't let habits form by having to hold our boys, feed or rock them to sleep every second of the day for them to be content.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But you said you are anti because its not worth the risk. If you don't think it's related to SIDS, what is this "risk" you speak of?
    Co sleeping is the risk! The risk of suffocating your child never mind that now they are suggesting SIDS is a risk, whether you believe it or not, co sleeping is not worth doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was you in another thread that said you also don't believe in breastfeeding past 6 months of age which also is thought to increase the risk of SIDS. It's interesting how we each make our risk assessments. FWIW we do cosleep but not full time, only for a few hours each early morning, and I think I am a very responsible parent.
    It was 1yr actually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Actually ds1 was like that, he had reflux and was a very hungry baby that did need constant feeding in the early months but it didn't mean he had to be in our bed! He was in our room along with a comfy chair I used a lot. I never fed him in bed and we never risked his life having him sleep in the bed with us. Doing it this way also meant our children learnt to self settle and became good sleepers on their own, we didn't let habits form by having to hold our boys, feed or rock them to sleep every second of the day for them to be content.
    Congrats on being a responsible parent then! Hats off to ya.

I have 3 independent sleepers and great sleepers actually. Once we transferred them from co sleeping into their rooms they have never been back in our bed so what exactly is the habit that is formed with co sleeping? Considering you have never done so you seem to be an expert on it.

I do know many mums co sleep because of needy babies but I co sleep because I am a needy mum and I do what's best for me and my babies. I honestly do not believe co sleeping increases risk of SIDS I believe it increases risk of suffocation. We co sleep safely and have so with 3 kids and never had a scare with blankets or possible suffocation.

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (23-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-05-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I won't say articles such as this are purely scaremongering, but I really wonder if the majority of people understand that a 'fivefold increase' is still a very small risk. Between 1997 and 2007, there was an average of 0.4 SIDS deaths per 1000 live births. That increases the risk, then, to 2 in 1000. Tiny risk. To put it in perspective, 1 in every 130 women in Australia/NZ who reach 20 weeks gestation will have a stillborn baby. I would love to see research/education go towards this cause.

I was soooo worried about SIDS. Terrified, even. I really regret how much sleep I lost and stress I went through in the first 12 weeks of my son's life every time I co-slept out of desperation and exhaustion. I don't believe I was irresponsible and I did everything I could to sleep safely, but if your child won't sleep unless he is near you then your options are limited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I read this yesterday and thought it raises a lot of good points. The most important down the bottom about not factoring in planned vs unplanned cosleeping. The difference between a parent deciding to cosleep and preparing the sleep space to be appropriate for a newborn as opposed to passing out from exhaustion on the couch.

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/pre...ase-carpenter/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

F&A  (23-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-05-2013),snowqu33n  (23-05-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast