+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If there were no signs of suffocation though it is classed as SIDS. She may well have rolled on the baby, but we don't know why some babies simply stop breathing when their faces are covered, even by a thin blanket or sleeping on their tummies...but some just do. Hence why SIDS recommend sleeping babies on their backs with nothing covering their faces and it has been hugely successful in reducing the SIDS rates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Couch sleeping is a very different scenario and has been shown to be very dangerous

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read through this thread apologies in advance but it was also mentioned about bacteria in mattresses possibly being a contributing factor to SIDS. When I was preg with my first DD (she is 19 years old now) some research was done by New Zealand university and they uncovered the possible link between bacteria (older cot/bassinette mattresses, possibly been used for a couple of babies previously and passed on) and SIDS (it was called cot death then). I never forgot reading that and all my babies got brand new mattresses to sleep on, albeit el cheapo's from Kmart but they were new. Of course I followed all the safe sleep guidelines etc but I often wonder if there is something in that research. Parents mattresses will likely have skin particles, sweat etc in the mattresses. Something to ponder I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    The response from UNICEF is worth a read

http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/News-and-Research/News/UNICEF-UK-Baby-Friendly-Initiative-statement-on-new-bed-sharing-research/
    Thanks Wrena that's a really good break down of the paper which has sparked these media reports.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very anti co sleeping. I don't think it's worth the risk and would never do it, I actually think its irresponsible to do so but that's just my opinion. There is no way to safely co sleep in my mind. While you may make every effort to make it safe such as ensuring the blankets are pulled down far enough etc it is not necessarily going to remain safe when you are sleeping. I have 2 friends who's babies died whilst co sleeping. One friends baby was suffocated and the other died from SIDS so were the reports from the coroner. I have also come across a few cases of babies dying while co sleeping in my job. It scares me, if I were to co sleep I would not have a good nights sleep worrying and checking on bubs. I just wouldn't do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I am very anti co sleeping. I don't think it's worth the risk and would never do it, I actually think its irresponsible to do so but that's just my opinion. There is no way to safely co sleep in my mind. While you may make every effort to make it safe such as ensuring the blankets are pulled down far enough etc it is not necessarily going to remain safe when you are sleeping. I have 2 friends who's babies died whilst co sleeping. One friends baby was suffocated and the other died from SIDS so were the reports from the coroner. I have also come across a few cases of babies dying while co sleeping in my job. It scares me, if I were to co sleep I would not have a good nights sleep worrying and checking on bubs. I just wouldn't do it!
    How do you explain low rates of SIDS (much smaller than here) in countries where co sleeping is the norm?

Do your kids sheep in your room or their own from birth?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I co slept with my 3 and will with my 4th I find myself a very responsible parent thank you.

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (23-05-2013),lones  (23-05-2013),LotusMum  (23-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh, nothing in that article has changed my opinion on co-sleeping. Apart from a few weeks after birth and a couple of months where my son happily slept in his own room (around 12 months), we have happily co-slept. People get crucified on here for stating they believe smoking while preggers/FFing etc are "irresponsible", so I don't know how anyone could make such a sweeping statement that "there is no way to safely co sleep". It has worked fine for my son and I, and god knows how many millions of babies/parents in the past.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

F&A  (23-05-2013),Kelly8329  (23-05-2013),lones  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    How do you explain low rates of SIDS (much smaller than here) in countries where co sleeping is the norm?

Do your kids sheep in your room or their own from birth?
    I don't need to explain because I didn't say that I think SIDS is related to co-sleeping. Whether it is or isn't doesn't matter to me because I don't do it. Our boys slept in our room from birth to 6mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    If there were no signs of suffocation though it is classed as SIDS. She may well have rolled on the baby, but we don't know why some babies simply stop breathing when their faces are covered, even by a thin blanket or sleeping on their tummies...but some just do. Hence why SIDS recommend sleeping babies on their backs with nothing covering their faces and it has been hugely successful in reducing the SIDS rates.
    Correct!