+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The response from UNICEF is worth a read

http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/News-and-Research/News/UNICEF-UK-Baby-Friendly-Initiative-statement-on-new-bed-sharing-research/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Euphrosyne  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    SIDS still cover fatal sleeping accidents, as well as stillbirth etc. The fact that the back sleeping campaign showed such a dramatic reduction in SIDS cases does suggest that for many babies safe sleeping practices keeps them alive.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smothering your baby in a co-sleeping situation because of drugs and alcohol is not a SIDS death. It may be a risk of co-sleeping but the cause of death is surely not SIDS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As is this

http://theconversation.com/safety-first-reducing-the-risks-of-sleeping-with-your-baby-13802

Essentially the literature review this information is based on is deeply flawed. I'm all for reducing SIDS but until there is some credible research showing that bed sharing while following safe cosleeping guidelines is dangerous, I'll continue to believe it is a safe and beneficial option

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

mrsoptomistic  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an expecting mother I am too scared to co sleep and think its totally not worth it.
    For starters our mattress is too soft, and old - big fails for a newborn. And god knows how baby will end up with 2 tired parents along side em.
    I've brought a monitor with a motion sensor too for additional SID prevention.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So have just read through a couple of peer reviewed journal articles about SIDS and from what I can gather there are some key factors that greatly increase the risk of SIDS; sleep position, maternal smoking and not breastfeeding as well as alcohol and drug intake of the sleeping partners in the 24hrs prior to the death. So from what I gather if you follow clear safety guidelines with co-sleeping your child should not actually be at an increased risk of SIDS...

So its not actually co-sleeping that is the problem but unsafe co-sleeping.

Also interestingly enough research has shown that there is an increased risk of SIDS for babies who are put to sleep in separate rooms.
    Last edited by Theophania; 22-05-2013 at 20:43.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

F&A  (23-05-2013),lones  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a friends sister whose 1 year old fell asleep on her while having a snuggle and watching Dr Phil . She was actually adoring looking at him before she was going to go and pop him down for his nap when she saw him take his last breath. Just stopped breathing in her arms about 5 minutes after falling asleep on her. She had the ambulance there within a few minutes and 5 mins of Ressus and he was breathing again, they called air ambulance and before the chopper got there he stopped breathing again just like that and couldn't be brought back. It was put down to SIDS.
    I had my aunts friend many many years ago take her baby to the car yard to buy a new car and the salesman wanted to oogle at the baby that they had left in the car for a matter of minutes on a cold rainy day. They opened the door and went to remove the baby and it had died. SIDS
    I hate that they don't know why or how it happens but I honestly don't think there is much that does contribute to SIDS.
    I believe it is just awful and happens with no explanation because there is none.
    I don't think co sleeping or formula feeding has anything to do with it.
    Possibly alcohol drugs and smoking as this is bad for an adult let alone a growing baby.
    I think the position in cot is also not a factor nor is tummy sleeping. I would only assume that if a baby travelled under a blanket and suffocated they would be found under the blanket so wouldn't the explanation of death be suffocation? And if a baby was tummy sleeping and ended up face first on the bed and suffocated again wouldn't they be found that way?
    Co sleeping again if you end of on top of your baby that would again be suffocation? I guess you may not know you have done it though.
    I feel like they throw out all this 'evidence' when in fact the majority of the reasons for not doing these things , tummy sleeping, co sleeping, putting your baby at the end of the cot, it is not to reduce SIDS it is to reduce suffocation!

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a friends sister whose 1 year old fell asleep on her while having a snuggle and watching Dr Phil . She was actually adoring looking at him before she was going to go and pop him down for his nap when she saw him take his last breath. Just stopped breathing in her arms about 5 minutes after falling asleep on her. She had the ambulance there within a few minutes and 5 mins of Ressus and he was breathing again, they called air ambulance and before the chopper got there he stopped breathing again just like that and couldn't be brought back. It was put down to SIDS.
    I had my aunts friend many many years ago take her baby to the car yard to buy a new car and the salesman wanted to oogle at the baby that they had left in the car for a matter of minutes on a cold rainy day. They opened the door and went to remove the baby and it had died. SIDS
    I hate that they don't know why or how it happens but I honestly don't think there is much that does contribute to SIDS.
    I believe it is just awful and happens with no explanation because there is none.
    I don't think co sleeping or formula feeding has anything to do with it.
    Possibly alcohol drugs and smoking as this is bad for an adult let alone a growing baby.
    I think the position in cot is also not a factor nor is tummy sleeping. I would only assume that if a baby travelled under a blanket and suffocated they would be found under the blanket so wouldn't the explanation of death be suffocation? And if a baby was tummy sleeping and ended up face first on the bed and suffocated again wouldn't they be found that way?
    Co sleeping again if you end of on top of your baby that would again be suffocation? I guess you may not know you have done it though.
    I feel like they throw out all this 'evidence' when in fact the majority of the reasons for not doing these things , tummy sleeping, co sleeping, putting your baby at the end of the cot, it is not to reduce SIDS it is to reduce suffocation!

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A good friend sadly rolled on her baby whilst co sleeping. The death certificate listed SIDS as the cause. I have seen the certificate- she is very open with how her baby died- obese overtired mother sleeping on a couch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    A good friend sadly rolled on her baby whilst co sleeping. The death certificate listed SIDS as the cause. I have seen the certificate- she is very open with how her baby died- obese overtired mother sleeping on a couch.
    Umm, the death certificate was wrong! If the baby was rolled on, that's suffocation, not SIDS! SIDS is unexplained!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Kelly8329  (23-05-2013)