+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    My dad is a "third" and my mum thought it was silly and just didn't put on our birth certificates. No one ever questioned her about it and it has never been mentioned. It has never caused any issues for us.
    Hmm interesting. So confused as to whether to ring and ask tomorrow or just leave it out completely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In our family we just write the normal name, eg John Edward Smith on official documents like birth certificates and "the third" is a family reference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it is on my Dad's UK passport and his birth certificate, it isn't on his Australian passport, I'm not sure about his drivers licence. I do know he doesn't use it if at all possible so I would think very few of his official documents have it listed.

My brother and I were born in England & our sister in Australia, Mum didn't put it on any of our birth certificates. Didn't make any difference when we became Australian citizens, hasn't affected us applying for passports etc. If it was my child I would just miss it off without saying anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the current legislation in WA in regards to registering the birth of your child.

"It is a legal requirement that you register the birth of your child.

The Birth Registration Form must be completed and lodged with the Registry within 60 days."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I have NO idea about 'the third'! But I'm pretty sure you have 6+ months for the lodgement, only problem you will have is you need it to get centre link entitlements
    This is incorrect, you must register within 60 days of the birth.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew is the fourth person in four generations to have his name. There is no mention of the fourth or third or even second on any birth certificates or official documents in our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    In our family we just write the normal name, eg John Edward Smith on official documents like birth certificates and "the third" is a family reference.
    ^^ this.

Its no longer a reference point needed.
    If you imagine in "the old days" when it was common to give birth at home and not all births got formally registered (thru the local parish) it was a way of differentiating between the people named the same. Eg. If Betsy and John Smith (son of John Smith) register the birth of their son John Smith, but bubs father and grandfather were never formally registered, it makes it easier for future reference to make note that bub is John Smith the third. Make sense?? But nowadays, there would be absolutely no confusion who your bubs father is, even if you leave off the "III", as modern BDM record keeping has numerous reference points to differentiate between all the John Smiths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in WA and I just registered my DD approximately 80 days after birth with no trouble at all.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For anyone thats interested, I rang WA BDM and they said I dont need to put it on there. Im still iffy but Ive left it off there. Planning on posting it tomorrow.