+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5yr old son runs off!!!

HELP!.... My DS5 Just keeps running off in public places... I HAVE to hold his hand at ALL times or he will just run, then touch stuff or completely ignore me. He always says "give me one chance mummy" so i will and within 2 minutes he is not listening, running off or touching stuff etc. then when i hold his hand he will pull on it, or drop to the ground.
    I hate going to the shops with him as its just hectic, i can't really go to the show or a school fete or anything coz its just an effort. What can i do to stop this? i'm at my wits end :S

Thank you
    Michelle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What consequences does he get? You say he always asks for a chance but if you know he is just going to do it anyway then I would say 'no, I gave you a chance last time and you still ran off. If you can behave during this trip then I will be able to trust you and give you a chance next time'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's probably too old for it but I'd be using one of the back packs with the wrist straps and explaining until he can be a big boy and listen to you while you're out he'll have to wear it because you're worried he could get lost or hurt.

The girls stopped running from me a while ago and it was after I told them they could get lost or hurt by a car if they run near the road.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (22-05-2013),LaDiDah  (22-05-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, I would use a backpack or a stroller. Give him one chance and if he blows it, he gets restrained.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd use the backpack too-and tell him that because he is acting like a baby, he'll have to be treated like one. He's old enough to be embarrassed and I think you'd have one little man behaving pronto!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have to agree. While I usually loathe back packs with reigns at 5 I'd be expecting much better behaviour, and a good understanding from him that running off isn't acceptable and is downright dangerous. Does he have any special needs though that are behind it? I would hate to *punish* a child for behaviour that they don't have the ability to actually understand as being unacceptable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the backpack/harness idea- even if the poor behaviour is related to a disability I would rather upset or humiliate my child by physically restraining them than have to scrape them off the road or have them grabbed by a stranger.