+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HIGH SCHOOLS non private Geelong

Hi. I am new to this forum.
    We are thinking of moving to Geelong. I have 3 kids and lots of questions to ask about the area but my main interest at the moment is about schooling.

We will not be private schooling, and so it appears there are only 3 public schools in geelong. I would love to hear about these schools please! And are enrollments based on application or zone?

As an aside, I know nothing about how kids get scholarships into high schools. Can anyone fill me in on what you do to apply? I'm guessing its not worth our time trying, but I actually have no idea how it all works anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hoping I may get a reply still.
    I would still like to hear from anyone who knows Oberon, Belmont and Geelong High?
    And keen to find out about primary schools too.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi there. Where abouts are you going to be living? There are a lot more then 3 high schools, so it would depend on what suburb you are in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There does seem to be a lot of schools in Geelong! It is narrowed down for us because we will be needing public school and those 3 look to be the best ones in Geelong area. Am I wrong? Still trying to figure it all out so would love to be recommended some other schools to consider.

Am I right in thinking that most enrollments are based on zoning?

We do not know which area yet but looking at around the areas of Manifold, West, south/east and highton /belmont.

I need to be looking into high school and primarys in those areas. I have children who will be starting both (prep and yr7) and one who will be needing to start kinder too all the same year! All advise gratefully received!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to bellarine sc, it was a great school couldn't fault it

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have girls mathew flinders seemed to be a great school (all girls) as did Belmont and newcomb high schools

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Geelong High is a really good school, as are Oberon and Belmont. It depends on where you will move to as to whether you will be accepted into them.

Thee are several good primary schools in the Belmont/Highton area. I think that all the public primary's in that area are fairly decent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know much about Geelong high but As far as I know Belmont is a good school. Also Montpellier primary in Highton is a really good primary public school. I think they have a kinder program but I'm not 100% on that one...
    Grovedale Highschool is another one that is good and has gotten a lot better over the years. Fairly sure it's public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MrsDL, I had not heard of Grovedale and a quick google looks like it is another one for us to consider.

Do primary schools have acceptance based on zoning? My child who will be starting prep will need a smaller school (we also need a school that can offer some extra support for him). I am slowly working my way through google about different schools in the area that might suit him.

We have an idea of areas we would like to live but not sure if we will buy or rent first. Trying to learn about the different areas and what will be most suitable for our all the families very different needs (regular commuting into Melbourne also). So much to research!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I don't know too much about the enrollment of students based on area but I can't imagine there'd be any restrictions. Feel free to pm me about anything Geelong. I can try and answer any questions