+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default On Qantas with a very active toddler help?

I need tips. We are flying out in a few days. How do I keep her occupied on this plane? She is nearly 2.

She is a big time outdoor child I struggle to keep her indoors. She hates tv, books and toys unless they are big toys like her car or truck that she can actually drive lol so bit hard on a plane. She doesnt sit anywhere for more than 10 mins. The qantas lady said bring lots of different foods well food does not excite her either she only eats when hungry and even thats a chore. Shes to big for the bassinet so we will be seated in the normal area eek.

She is a runner actually a sprinter, loves climbing and loves chatting to strangers. What if people on the plane get annoyed?

Ok I know this is first world problems for some but im a new mother and I just dread the 3 hours there and 4 hours back when I struggle to keep her entertained for half n hour at home.

Any tips?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Phenergan?

Just kidding no tips from me, just wishing you good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We flew 2.5hrs with DD at 20mo and it was way easier than I'd anticipated. She's usually very active too, loves being outside and hates being restrained.

I think the novel environment of the airport & plane distracted her a bit and she was actually fairly happy to sit and watch wiggles on her little DVD player for about 20mins at a time. We also did drawing, chatted and sang with her, read stories, pointed things out to her, took advantage of other passengers who wanted to smile and chat to her (especially some of the older ones, they couldn't get enough of her!).

We also booked flights in the middle of the day to coincide with her nap time in the hope that she'd sleep some of the way. She didn't sleep much but had a bit of a rest in my arms.

People were actually a lot more accepting/accommodating that I expected and there we're lots of other young kids on our flights.

You'll be fine! Make sure you're talking to her about flying, telling her how fun it will be etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Phenergan?

Just kidding no tips from me, just wishing you good luck!
    What's that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hosties are usually great with kids on board.

I'd take some new 'surprise' toys that involve some sort of activity - even if she isn't usually into anything indoorsy.

Definitely pack food she likes on the off chance she doesn't like the food on board. Even if she isn't really an eater it's a handy back up.

You can walk her up the aisles if she gets restless. Often there are people on board who don't mind engaging with kids. We flew with DD once and had three teenage boys sitting behind us and they spent almost the whole flight indulging in her games with them.

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    We flew 2.5hrs with DD at 20mo and it was way easier than I'd anticipated. She's usually very active too, loves being outside and hates being restrained.

I think the novel environment of the airport & plane distracted her a bit and she was actually fairly happy to sit and watch wiggles on her little DVD player for about 20mins at a time. We also did drawing, chatted and sang with her, read stories, pointed things out to her, took advantage of other passengers who wanted to smile and chat to her (especially some of the older ones, they couldn't get enough of her!).

We also booked flights in the middle of the day to coincide with her nap time in the hope that she'd sleep some of the way. She didn't sleep much but had a bit of a rest in my arms.

People were actually a lot more accepting/accommodating that I expected and there we're lots of other young kids on our flights.

You'll be fine! Make sure you're talking to her about flying, telling her how fun it will be etc.
    There is no way she ll watch anything but the sleep part sounds promising ive booked it right before nap time.
    Ok so you think she ll be fine? Our toddlers are twins so im sure you are right hehe shes a social butterfly hope there's nice ppl on board:thumbup:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    There is no way she ll watch anything but the sleep part sounds promising ive booked it right before nap time.
    Ok so you think she ll be fine? Our toddlers are twins so im sure you are right hehe shes a social butterfly hope there's nice ppl on board:thumbup:

Haha yeah they are very similar! I think the only difference is yours sounds a bit more outgoing than mine. DD is pretty shy around strangers but if we're holding her she's ok.

I really think you will be fine. There might be some challenging moments but trust yourself to manage it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    only thing I have to mention is the aisles aren't very wide, so maybe get her a leap pad thing with games on it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to Fiji when DS was 15 months. It was ok, he slept most if the way there. I went to Kmart and bought lots of stickers and toys which kept him pretty entertained. The way back he woke up in the middle of his sleep and cried all the way home.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took toys and books in a backpack. I actually found my toddler was ok on the flight to Perth, it was my 1 yr old who was worse!

I had a galaxy tab too but she's probably too young for it.

Try and get a window seat, that way you can 'lock her in' so to speak , so that she can't keep wandering into the aisles.

To make u feel better, my 1 year old cried 2.5 hours in the way to Perth.. And we were in business class. Gees I looked good with my feral child in front of all the business class travelers! But then he fell asleep and slept the rest of the way

Good luck! I'm meant to be going again tomorrow but my kids r sick!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (22-05-2013)