+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JessiW View Post
    So I've been reading up on possible side affects if vitex and mid cycle spotting is one of them. That's the only thing I've done differently this month so thinking that might be the cause if my mid cycle spotting. I started taking it to try to reduce my long cycles but think I'd prefer the long cycle to the random constant spotting. Plus I've had headaches while in it too. Has anyone else had side effects from vitex?
    Sorry to crash jessi, if you are having side effect you could try a different brand. I had horrible bloating with blackmores and switched to thompsons. No more bloating for me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

JessiW  (24-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Wondering if I could get some advice. I'm not on here much because I decided to try and focus on losing weight and not worrying about getting pregnant but my body has just thrown me a weird curve ball. According to my apps, I should have ovulated about a week ago. But I didn't get any ewcm until the 20th which wasn't that long ago. The thing that confuses me is that i started spotting last night. Not a lot but there's still some this morning. Today is CD23 and i'm just very confused. If I did O according to the apps, i'm still not due for AF for another week, if it's according to the ewcm i'm not due for even longer. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas before I started googling and making my brain hurt with the confusion that brings.

Thanks.

P.S. Congrats Channy. So very happy for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As a doula I can say the numbers are right, typically first babies are 12-14 hours and subsequent babies are usually faster because your body remembers what to do. First stage is labor, second stage is pushing, and third is delivery of the placenta. BUT there are stages within the first stage (pre-labor and active labor). Pre-labour is typically where a lot of the time is, the stopping and starting of contractions and no real rhythm or pattern to them. Active labor is when the contractions have a rhythm (a specific number of minutes apart lasting a specific amount of time and gradually getting closer together).

Typically when somebody says their labor lasted a couple days they are talking about the pre-labour, the stopping and starting. A couple days of active labor (full on constant contractions) typically wouldn't be allowed to last that long because it puts the baby in distress and mom gets too tired.

Don't let induction fool you! Although it starts your labor it doesn't really shorten it! What it does is take away that pre-labor part where you are gradually building up, instead you go straight to active labor. Going straight to active labor then increases your need for pain relief like epidural because endorphins in your body didn't have time to catch up with the pain. Induction makes your pain go from 0-10 quite quickly whereas starting naturally your pain gradually increases and your endorphins build with it, giving you the ability to cope better with the pain then somebody who is induced. I'm not saying you'll never find yourself in need of pain relief, just explaining how our bodies work. Mothers who aren't induced are less likely to use pain relief. That said, there are also different levels of induction. Having your waters broke is usually a more gradual laboring process than have a drip of syntocin!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

NicT  (25-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes shadow-you need to rest up when you can! But it's hard when it's your first and you don't know what you should be expecting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Yes shadow-you need to rest up when you can! But it's hard when it's your first and you don't know what you should be expecting!
    Yep, I know for next time! In a perfect world id hope to have a good solid 12hrs sleep, wake up at a reasonable hour in labour and have bubba by dinner!

I can dream right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a doula I can say the numbers are right, typically first babies are 12-14 hours and subsequent babies are usually faster because your body remembers what to do. First stage is labor, second stage is pushing, and third is delivery of the placenta. BUT there are stages within the first stage (pre-labor and active labor). Pre-labour is typically where a lot of the time is, the stopping and starting of contractions and no real rhythm or pattern to them. Active labor is when the contractions have a rhythm (a specific number of minutes apart lasting a specific amount of time and gradually getting closer together).

Typically when somebody says their labor lasted a couple days they are talking about the pre-labour, the stopping and starting. A couple days of active labor (full on constant contractions) typically wouldn't be allowed to last that long because it puts the baby in distress and mom gets too tired.

Don't let induction fool you! Although it starts your labor it doesn't really shorten it! What it does is take away that pre-labor part where you are gradually building up, instead you go straight to active labor. Going straight to active labor then increases your need for pain relief like epidural because endorphins in your body didn't have time to catch up with the pain. Induction makes your pain go from 0-10 quite quickly whereas starting naturally your pain gradually increases and your endorphins build with it, giving you the ability to cope better with the pain then somebody who is induced. I'm not saying you'll never find yourself in need of pain relief, just explaining how our bodies work. Mothers who aren't induced are less likely to use pain relief. That said, there are also different levels of induction. Having your waters broke is usually a more gradual laboring process than have a drip of syntocin!
    Absolutely Holly - I think induction does have that sudden factor and doesn't work for everyone.
    I think the reason why they let me go so long without intervention was because I was a VBAC and they can't use syntocinin. I've only ever counted from when active labour starts - prelabour can come and go for a while and is much softer! They didn't check when I first went up with the two day labour - they only checked the next day (a lesson learnt - I don't know why they didn't check!). Even though contractions were 3min apart it was taking 24 hours to go every 3 cm. It was when I finally got to 7cm that they realised I was so tired and broke my waters, then gave me a needle to slow them down as they were on top of each other and concerned about previous incision. My poor DH slept by putting his head on the end of the bed. I was so tired I asked them to suck him out, but they made me push him out...without contractions as my uterus had stopped contracting - too worn out. As you said - there are reasons why they don't let women labour for this long!

As a VBAC, I'm supposed to go in at ten minutes apart, but I've never had the usual longer, milder to closer, stronger contractions - they just start all of a sudden and close together and strong. But the third time - my labour was only 5 hours and she was out in two pushes. So glad that the body does learn what to do as you said, mine just took a while to catch on - lol!

Wouldn't it be lovely to always fit within the average and the norm!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How exhausting Little Ted! Every labor is definitely different! But I think when it comes to first babies and a typical, normal, straight forward situation--there is an average that tends to happen.

I have had friends and clients whose first babies were only five hours though, one can dream!! But most of my clients (and friends) have typically been 12 or so hours. Such a long day!

My laboring experience was completely different to what I'd imagine it would be like, and how I imagined I would cope. Obviously. Since our baby had died in-utero I had to be induced, but it was a very slow process since they gave me the pills. I was exhausted from lack of sleep, just drained from the grief and anxiety of it all. By the end when my contractions were really full on I was falling asleep in between. It was weird because it seemed as though it was quite a deep sleep, I would have crazy dreams and everything--but then it turned out I was only asleep for a minute.

All my doula attitude and knowledge seems to have gone out the window when I think about having another baby and laboring again. I'm f**king petrified! I honestly imagine I will want a c-section or to be induced around 38/39 weeks as I can't disassociate that birth doesn't mean having such an awful outcome again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my dad made it there eventually he didn't see the birth though I am the middle child he only saw my older sisters and both he and mum thought that was enough trauma for him lol so never really asked where he was in the hospital whether he was hanging around outside or something . UNless DH is stuck at an underground mine site 3 hrs away and uncontactable he will be told to get his **** home or to the hospital lol.
    Last edited by wobblermummy; 24-05-2013 at 11:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How exhausting Little Ted! Every labor is definitely different! But I think when it comes to first babies and a typical, normal, straight forward situation--there is an average that tends to happen.

I have had friends and clients whose first babies were only five hours though, one can dream!! But most of my clients (and friends) have typically been 12 or so hours. Such a long day!

My laboring experience was completely different to what I'd imagine it would be like, and how I imagined I would cope. Obviously. Since our baby had died in-utero I had to be induced, but it was a very slow process since they gave me the pills. I was exhausted from lack of sleep, just drained from the grief and anxiety of it all. By the end when my contractions were really full on I was falling asleep in between. It was weird because it seemed as though it was quite a deep sleep, I would have crazy dreams and everything--but then it turned out I was only asleep for a minute.

All my doula attitude and knowledge seems to have gone out the window when I think about having another baby and laboring again. I'm f**king petrified! I honestly imagine I will want a c-section or to be induced around 38/39 weeks as I can't disassociate that birth doesn't mean having such an awful outcome again.
    Holly, I am sure you are a wonderful doula and I'm glad you have seen so many positive birth stories - hopefully this will help your confidence in having another one. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to have to go through labour without having a happy story at the end. I delivered my baby before I got to hospital without realising it due to heavy bleeding that I was more concerned about, so never had to conciously do it. I truly hope that you never have to go through what you experienced again. From experience, it's difficult to let go of the anxieties that come with carrying another baby after a traumatic loss. I think increased monitoring is one way that they try to alleviate some of this worry, but I doubt it will disappear completely until they are in your arms.
    Lots of hugs,
    LT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I am a very happy channy today, repromed recommended that I come in and have bloods. I just got a call to say level are good and hcg328 at 14dpo. I cried

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChannyV For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (24-05-2013),munchkin859  (24-05-2013),Purples  (24-05-2013)