+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Bed-sharing risks

This was just on the today show:

According to a new study, babies who share a bed with their parents are 5 times more likely to die from SIDS regardless of whether the parents smoke/are affected by alcohol/use drugs etc

I'm not a fan of bed sharing but I would like to read more info on this study before taking it at its word. Primarily what is the deciding risk factor if its not alcohol/smoking etc? Overheating from too much bedding? Being smothered by a parent?

I wonder if the SIDS organisations will endorse this study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1226647904058

I just read this. Bacteria in the bed they say is another cause.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy83 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The study results dont surprise me at all . Experts have been warning us of the risks for a while now.

Ive never been a fan of bed sharing personally because of these risks. Overheating and smothering would be strong risk factors i would imagine. I couldnt do it myself as i wouldnt have had a wink of sleep as i would have been so paranoid. In older children it doesnt bother me so much but then i think its forming a habit that may be hard to break later. There have been several deaths even recently from parents sleeping with their child.

Just my opinion and i know many will disagree

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

mushiedaina  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy83 View Post
    http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1226647904058

I just read this. Bacteria in the bed they say is another cause.
    Thanks.... Interesting about the bacteria...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the article (I shouldn't be on bubhub atm!) but I bed share with my 5 month old and have since she was brand new...

There is bacteria everywhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's hard to comment without evaluating the actual study but I believe the risk factors to also include parental obesity, inappropriate bedding, couch sleeping etc as well as those mentioned by PP.

But it's also interesting to note that babies who sleep in the same room as parents (in own safe sleeping space) have been found to be up to five times less risk of SIDS compared with babies in their own room. It interests me that these figures don't prompt quite the same alarm or media coverage probably because putting baby in own room is so much more socially acceptable than co-sleeping.

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (22-05-2013),Annabella  (22-05-2013),babybabycakes  (22-05-2013),BigRedV  (22-05-2013),Boobycino  (22-05-2013),BornToBe  (22-05-2013),Cazza1981  (22-05-2013),CMF  (22-05-2013),GreenMama  (22-05-2013),αληθη  (22-05-2013),jez  (22-05-2013),just her chameleon  (22-05-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (22-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-05-2013),tormyxxx  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After DS2 was born (he is 9 months old now) I suffered post natal depression and anxiety due to a fear of SIDS so I am pretty sure I read just about every website that turned up in a google search, and I have found that it seems just about impossible to follow every single guideline there are so many out there that contradict each other. Many encourage the use of dummies yet some say no, some encourage sleeping bags and some say not to because babies are unable to roll properly (mine has no problem with that one) some say to co sleep and now we can't. What exactly is the safest method to have a baby sleep. For the record mine sleeps in his cot with no bumper in our room in a grobag but after DH has left for work if bub wakes up I usually lay him in bed with me on top of the doona still in his grobag with my arm under him and I really would hate to think by doing any of this I am increasing the risk of SIDS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a read of this analysis of the study

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk...eath-risk.html

Screams the BBC headline today, followed by "The risk applies even if parents avoid tobacco, alcohol and drugs - other factors firmly linked to cot deaths."

Several organisations have responded with statements highlighting why 15-26 year old data, collected in different countries at different time points, using different methods and definitions for data collection might not be the most reliable of evidence. The first is a report from the fantabulous folk at ISIS, big thanks to them as they've saved me a lot of blogging time!

There's also one from UNICEF, and another from the NCT.

I think Isis cover the science side well in terms of picking apart why we shouldn't discount all the existing, contradictory studies because of this one piece, so here's a few thoughts of mine that sprang to mind:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (22-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post

But it's also interesting to note that babies who sleep in the same room as parents (in own safe sleeping space) have been found to be up to five times less risk of SIDS compared with babies in their own room. It interests me that these figures don't prompt quite the same alarm or media coverage probably because putting baby in own room is so much more socially acceptable than co-sleeping.
    Yes, THIS!! I have never understood why my choice to co-sleep was judged so harshly because it contravenes SIDS guidelines but parents who choose to put their baby in another room are not judged in the same way. I'm just about to have my second baby and this news article did rattle me a little bit but reading the details I'm not so worried, actually. And I do wonder about places like Japan that has fairly low SIDS rates and high co-sleeping rates, don't they have bacteria there too?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (22-05-2013),Bubbles10  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If co sleeping increases the rate of SIDS then why is it primarily a first world problem?

Bed sharing and co sleeping (room sharing) are the norm in most cultures but their rates of SIDS are negligible to non existent. My mother and grandmother both had never heard of it. Cot death as they knew it was a rich man's problem.