+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    maybe she should try to break her lease early and live in her DP house till they can buy a new one. Or get her DP to rent out his house on a short term lease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Her SSP wont be affected currently as they aren't living together and she's not considered financially dependent on him. Once married though, she would lose the SPP regardless of living arrangements.

Surely if she only has 1 child, she could move in to his house while waiting to sell?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

OneLove  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If marriage is going to cause a huge financial detriment, why don't they postpone the wedding?

It seems illogical to jump into a marriage without prior consideration of how to manage finances and living situation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My friend was living in a shared house with a few people, but her fiance also lived there and shared the rent equally. Once she got married and they moved out on their own (which all happened at the same time) her centrelink benefits dropped massively. There was no interim payment available, no warning of how much it would drop, etc, it just dropped by over 50% from one week to the next.

If her husband owns property she might not be eligible for centrelink benefits that are based on asset tests (doesn't affect the family tax benefits though - that is based on his income).

I suggest they move in together when they get married in either house - if his doesn't sell, then they should rent it out if they don't want to live there. Or they could break the lease on her current place and move into his place. I don't see why they need to keep 2 places going for long. And if they do, then it's just part of the costs of moving, so they just need to take that into account when they sell & buy that they need money to cover that period when they have 2 houses for a bit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

OneLove  (23-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would postpone the marriage until they're living together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (22-05-2013)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I doubt that centrelink will give any payments once they are married... Wouldn't that be a massive loophole for FIFO families etc...

If they can't afford to keep both houses going then they need to consider postponing their wedding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by andy90 View Post
    maybe she should try to break her lease early and live in her DP house till they can buy a new one. Or get her DP to rent out his house on a short term lease.
    Thank you - these are helpful suggestions!

She couldn't really move to his house as her work and sons school is far to far from that house. Hence why they've not done that already. Your second suggestion is a good one and I think they may end up doing that if they don't manage to sell soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    I think once she gets married centrelink will view them as together. I am unsure why the tax payer should subsidise their housing arrangements when they should support each other as a married couple
    If you want to look at it like that - he pays a bucket load of tax and she works and pays tax - so really they are funding themselves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    If marriage is going to cause a huge financial detriment, why don't they postpone the wedding?

It seems illogical to jump into a marriage without prior consideration of how to manage finances and living situation.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Um, you might need to re-re-read my post.

The marriage is not going to be a 'huge financial detriment'. They will be buying a new house as soon as the 1st one sells. That's life. Unfortunately, you cannot click your fingers and have someone buy your house despite how much time you allow. They are also not 'jumping in to a marriage'. They are giving lots of consideration to their options and the helpful suggestions that others have offered such as renting his house out is probably what they will do if they have not managed to sell it in time.

If you can't be more helpful maybe just let it be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    I doubt that centrelink will give any payments once they are married... Wouldn't that be a massive loophole for FIFO families etc...

If they can't afford to keep both houses going then they need to consider postponing their wedding.
    Haha yes that's true!!!

They wont be postponing their wedding.

Its been suggested that they could rent his house and that is probably a good option for them if they can't sell/buy in the coming months. I think they should also see if they can afford to rent his and still buy another.

She said they could probably cover both houses for a short period of time but it did just cross her mind as to the process with centrelink but that's been answered now.