+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you lie to your kids to keep them quiet?

My boy is just a little over 2 and he LOVES the park. First thing in the morning he would chuck a tanty if we say we not going today, on our way home at 5pm at night he would chuck a tanty in the car because we are not going to the park, if we are going elsewhere, not in the direction of the park he would chuck a tanty. He knows exactly which way to go to the park!
    We take him there almost everyday. So a lot of the times we would lie to him and say 'yes we are going' to stop his tanty. We only do that if nothing else works.
    Would you lie to your kids to keep them quiet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes I have done so as I will until mine fully understand lol I've done the park thing but most recently have had to tell ds that McDonald's is closed when we dive past and he asks or McDonald's.so now when I say it's closed he asks why and I said oh it's broken it's a good enough answer to stop the mega tantrum that usually follows no not today.

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Sent from my ... Using the.... Does it even really matter

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, as tempting as it might be, I wouldn't.

Learning to cope with disappointment is a very important skill in my mind.

If you go often, maybe just say something like, 'sorry honey, not today. Hopefully tomorrow' then just go on with whatever you were doing and try and ignore the tantrum.

That's what I've done with my kids anyway, and the do accept it in the end.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (21-05-2013),Nmgb  (21-05-2013),snowqu33n  (21-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Personally, no probably not. I dont think that that is a way we'd use to tackle the problem, as I just feel it probably wouldn't teach him that that behavior doesn't mean he gets what he wants...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done this. Not always, alot of the time I tell the straight that we can't go cause xyz, but honestly sometimes I am just too tired for the ensuing arguement, talking, etc.. Most of the time it would be me saying 'yes we will go to the park tomorrow, mummy is busy now', and I would say that knowing they would forget about it by tomorrow... Now DS is getting a bit older and his memory is better so more often then not he just gets the truth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I certainly sympathise with those that do but I certainly try not to. I however am not above bribing or delaying the gratification they are seeking- eg 'if we get all our jobs done today, I am sure we can go tomorrow..'
    Lol I do that too

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Sent from my ... Using the.... Does it even really matter

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    haha Im pretty sure I have lied about lots of stuff.

Including shops are closed, these shops dont sell chocolate, cant go on such and such playdate as such and such is sick...... bahahahahahah

Oh and I bribe too!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeForWine For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (21-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Yeah i do at time. Sometimes it's just the only way to diffuse a situation. My DS is prone to meltdowns so if he is screaming for a lolly for example. I tell him that the shops are closed right now but if he is a really good boy he can pick a lolly next time we go shopping. Often works and i personally don't see the harm in doing so.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (21-05-2013)

TimeForWine is offline Taking everyday one wine at a time...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually am dreading the day I CANT lie anymore.

NO Santa WILL NOT come to this house unless you do all the dishes and finish your homework and then give mummy a foot rub!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeForWine For This Useful Post:

MonsterMoosMum  (21-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont say we are going someplace if i have no intent to go , as i think thats worse in the longrun as they are sad latter when dissapointed ! ...
    but i have plenty of times said , for eg that the playground is closed .
    or that the cafe has run out of milkshakes/chips ect ...... no its not all the time either sometimes he gets a straight NO if but sometimes im not up for the fight .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to *Need~More~Coffee~Please* For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (21-05-2013)