+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Part time work

A couple of questions for you ladies:

1) Can a part-timer realistically head up a team?
    2) In your workplace, if someone goes part time after having a kid, is that managed effectively?
    - Do managers hire more staff or cut work levels?
    - Or is the part-timer expected to handle a full time workload over part time hours? Are other workers expected to pick up the slack and in doing so have above average workloads?

In my workplace one part-time mum heads up a busy team. When she is not at work other team members/leaders are expected to pick up the slack on top of their normal duties. I'm not mad at the mum (well not for this) but rather blame senior management for not managing work-loads and duty assignments properly.

In interested in others thoughts and experiences with similar situations.
    Last edited by VicPark; 20-05-2013 at 20:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    A couple of questions for you ladies:

1) Can a part-timer realistically head up a team?
    2) In your workplace, if someone goes part time after having a kid, is that managed effectively?
    - Do managers hire more staff or cur work levels?
    - Or is the part-timer expected to handle a full time workload over part time hours? Are other workers expected to pick up the slack and in doing so have above average workloads?

In my workplace one part-time mum heads up a busy team. When she is not at work other team leaders are expected to pick up the slack on top of their normal duties. I'm not mad at the mum (well not for this) but rather blame senior management for not managing work-loads and duty assignments properly.

In interested in others thoughts and experiences with similar situations.
    Yes of course a part-timer can head up a team. In my workplace, most part-time arrangements work well but some better than others. The ones that don't are those that are usual client facing.

No generally more staff are not hired unless its a job share.

No part-timers aren't expected to work full-time but, just as full-time employees are expected to work reasonable additional hours, so are part-timers. In my case, I do this by checking and responding to work emails in the evenings and on my days off. I don't spend long on it though unless its urgent.

Workplace flexibility is an art and it takes practice. Excellent communication is the key.

If you are one of the team leaders VP I would raise your concerns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In 10 years in my profession in a variety of public and private settings I'm yet to see it managed effectively.
    Unfortunately the ones who are left to suffer and pick up the slack are the full timers or those who are there on the part-timers day off.

For example, if an irate client comes in when the staff member isn't there you can't very well say 'sorry, xx isn't here for another two day so come back then'. And it takes you twice as long as the usual staff member to sort out the problem because you aren't familiar with the case.

I also think it is very evident that part time equivalents don't add up to a full time staff member. E.g. 0.5 + 0.5 doesn't equal a full time staff member. Instead, both the part timers end up spending time catching up on emails, networking with other staff, attending meetings etc which would effectively be halved if only one person had to do it.

I expect some jobs would lend themselves to job sharing and part time work more readily than others. E.g. If your job is to answer the phone, greet clients, direct them where to go in the building, then obviously it doesn't matter if the same person is doing that all the time or a different person each day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP. OP it seems you are concerned about additional workload for the team.

Communication is the key as senior management may be giving these extra responsibilities to groom those people to take on bigger / more senior roles.
    I head up a team across APAC and returned part time. I work more than my scheduled days by working at night too which fits into the end of Asia's work day.

More of my work was pushed to my senior team members as I needed to select someone to take over my role when I went back on mat leave.
    I was preg until losing the baby at 4 mths but no one at work knew so maybe didn't understand why I was giving them more tasks. If they had asked I would have explained that I was looking for a successor for my role to enable me to take on new challenges.

Luckily for me they jumped at the chance of new work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't see why not. Probably depends a lot on your experience. Just because a mum goes back to work part time doesn't mean she isn't capable to take on that role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I don't see why not. Probably depends a lot on your experience. Just because a mum goes back to work part time doesn't mean she isn't capable to take on that role.
    Totally agree. And in the case in my workplace the mum is more than capable to head a team. It's just the logistic difficulties of her doing it part-time that are a concern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    For example, if an irate client comes in when the staff member isn't there you can't very well say 'sorry, xx isn't here for another two day so come back then'. And it takes you twice as long as the usual staff member to sort out the problem because you aren't familiar with the case.

This is a huge problem in one of our businesses.

We have come to the point we need a full time manager, so will be offering current part-time team leader a new job (equivilant level) that is more suited to someone wanting to work the part time/school only hours. Obviosly she will be offered the full times hours first, but I think she will really like the new role we are creating for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post

We have come to the point we need a full time manager, so will be offering current part-time team leader a new job (equivilant level) that is more suited to someone wanting to work the part time/school only hours. Obviosly she will be offered the full times hours first, but I think she will really like the new role we are creating for her
    Or she will come on BH and whinge about how she is being discriminated against...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post

I think that's fair. If you need a full time manger, then you need a full time manager. The goal is to make money for your business, not to support someone's part time career.

I think offering the lady the full time position first, and creating a special position as a second option is a good thing to do.

Hopefully you won't have a whinger on your hands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've just experienced this in my workplace.

Someone went on mat leave and came back to work from home for one day a week. They then went for and was successful in getting a supervisory role- and still working from home for one day a week. There was some head shaking from some employees as to whether that was right- their argument? She can't supervise her team if she's not here. I haven't decided yet.

For people coming back from mat leave- my workplace is very accomodating. Even for males- allowing work from home arrangements and flexible hours (eg. work 5 days worth in 4 days).