+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to update for anyone in the future who might stumble across this thread looking for help/advice.

After my last post I decided I didn't want to take medication. I thought I could control my anxiety on my own through diet, vitamins and a whole load of extra effort. I was so petrified that I would fall pregnant on them and they would hurt the baby or that I would suffer bad side effects. I felt like I just needed to try harder to control my mind.

This worked for about a week. Then I became so exhausted from the constant effort it took to be happy. I had to be alert to my thoughts constantly and fighting off the irrational thinking was a job in itself. Eventually I ran out of stamina. Anxiety hit hard. I couldn't control it anymore I had no reserves left to deal with the everyday stresses life threw at me.

So I had another discussion with my dr who assured me all my reasons for not taking the medication was simply my anxiety talking. She also helped me to see that my body and mind need a break from all the anxiety and stress I have suffered and that I have no coping mechanisms left to get me through everyday challenges.

So today I took my first tablet. I was scared, I almost expected to have a reaction then and there but I didn't. I am looking forward to the day, hopefully in the near future, where the anxiety and irrational thoughts have quietened down. This is the best decision for me and I feel like I'm doing the right thing by my family by helping myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once again I am updating for any future readers who may be looking for advice.

I have been on medication for three weeks now and I feel like I have my life back. I can think logically. Everyday life is no longer so demanding that I fall apart. I am not consumed with irrational thoughts. I feel like me again. I never thought I would get back here but here I am feeling relatively normal again. I am so thankful to my GP for steering me in the right direction.

I still have a long road ahead. I still need to grieve for my baby and learn to cope with her loss.

One day I would love to have another baby but I'm not sure that I will ever be ready to take that leap again. I still feel I just want this baby. But for now I am happy to know my life is improving and I am becoming a stronger happier person for my living children.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Whoknows For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im glad you are feeling better, anxiety is exhausting and hard to live with. I too, was terrified of taking medication as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Ive always preferred natural remedies and have never even taken panadol in the past, however I got so unwell I ended up in hospital and ended up finally taking the medication out of desperation. The change was instant and amazing and I felt like such a dimwit for refusing to take it for so long and thinking I could just "fix" myself with counselling, exercise and diet. While I know its not for everyone, I do think that I had a serious imbalance in my brain chemistry brought on by hormones and stress. Ive learnt alot about mental illness in the last few years...
    Once I started the medication I had a pretty quick recovery. Good luck xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    Im glad you are feeling better, anxiety is exhausting and hard to live with. I too, was terrified of taking medication as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Ive always preferred natural remedies and have never even taken panadol in the past, however I got so unwell I ended up in hospital and ended up finally taking the medication out of desperation. The change was instant and amazing and I felt like such a dimwit for refusing to take it for so long and thinking I could just "fix" myself with counselling, exercise and diet. While I know its not for everyone, I do think that I had a serious imbalance in my brain chemistry brought on by hormones and stress. Ive learnt alot about mental illness in the last few years...
    Once I started the medication I had a pretty quick recovery. Good luck xx
    I completely agree with everything you have said ripper Rita and thank you very much for all your support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoknows View Post
    Once again I am updating for any future readers who may be looking for advice.

I have been on medication for three weeks now and I feel like I have my life back. I can think logically. Everyday life is no longer so demanding that I fall apart. I am not consumed with irrational thoughts. I feel like me again. I never thought I would get back here but here I am feeling relatively normal again. I am so thankful to my GP for steering me in the right direction.

I still have a long road ahead. I still need to grieve for my baby and learn to cope with her loss.

One day I would love to have another baby but I'm not sure that I will ever be ready to take that leap again. I still feel I just want this baby. But for now I am happy to know my life is improving and I am becoming a stronger happier person for my living children.
    I am so glad you are feeling better It gives me hope that one day I might be better xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Whoknows, I so appreciate you providing updates on how you were feeling. I feel so horrible. After chronic insomnia I had my first panic attack a week ago. luckily I had an appointment at the doc the next day for my 2nd childs 6 week immunisation and she put me on Zoloft. I feel fuzzy and the mornings are horrible. I have been taking sleeping pills for 6 nights running cause not taking them makes me anxious about not sleeping. so are you still feeling well? was it not until 3 weeks that you felt better or was it gradual so that maybe i'll be feeling a bit better in a few days.....I'm so sorry about your loss as well. I cant imagine what state I would be in if that was my experience. I think mine came on from a long C-section recovery and other stresses but who knows?!?!! its got to be one of the most evil things this post natal anxiety! initially I was anxious about sleep but now I get anxious about anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by doobywooby View Post
    HI Whoknows, I so appreciate you providing updates on how you were feeling. I feel so horrible. After chronic insomnia I had my first panic attack a week ago. luckily I had an appointment at the doc the next day for my 2nd childs 6 week immunisation and she put me on Zoloft. I feel fuzzy and the mornings are horrible. I have been taking sleeping pills for 6 nights running cause not taking them makes me anxious about not sleeping. so are you still feeling well? was it not until 3 weeks that you felt better or was it gradual so that maybe i'll be feeling a bit better in a few days.....I'm so sorry about your loss as well. I cant imagine what state I would be in if that was my experience. I think mine came on from a long C-section recovery and other stresses but who knows?!?!! its got to be one of the most evil things this post natal anxiety! initially I was anxious about sleep but now I get anxious about anything!
    I started to feel better after about 10 days however my anxiety was mainly focused around my thoughts not so much the physical symptoms. Also I started on a very low dose which worked great then after a month my dr increased my dose which actually made my anxiety worse and I started to get quite panicky. So I went back down to the low dose which seemed to work better for me.

One thing I have learnt is that everyone responds differently to these medications and it can take a while to find the right brand and dose for you. My dr seemed to think that 2 weeks was sufficient to determine if the medication was suited to me.

Anxiety is evil I know. It can change your whole life and for me my thoughts became distorted. It was hard to tell fact from fiction and for a couple of months i just survived as best i could. All I can say is that you will get better one day. I never thought I would feel like myself again but here I am giving advice!!!

Maybe it would be worth seeing your GP again. If you're still having these symptoms the maybe you would be better suited to a different brand or dose? It might even be worth getting a second opinion.