+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborn sleeping & feeding Q

My DD is 11 days old & has been sleeping a 6 hr block overnight for the past wk or so. I wake her to feed every 3 hrs during the day. She takes one breast at a time during her feeds so the other breast goes 6hrs without stimulation or could go 9 hrs overnight.

Do you think this impact on my supply since my milk is still establishing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first reaction was to offer huge congratulations. To have an 11 day old sleeping 6hr blocks overnight already is awesome!

However you then mention you have to wake bub every 3hrs during the day to feed too. Has he got jaundice by chance? Newborns are naturally sleepy, but you're either incredibly lucky (I hope!) or there may be a reason for bub sleeping so well, so maybe just ask your MCHN at next visit?

As for your supply, at this very young age, I'd be inclined to ensure both breasts are offered every feed. If you already do this then yes I'd be expressing for now to ensure supply levels remain high. Do you get engorgment or pain in the breast that goes 9hrs?

Others may have different opinions of course, but that's what I'd do until I checked to ensure there was no other reason that bub was extra sleepy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Pesca. Bub did have a tiny bit of jaundice just in her face but its been flushed out now thank goodness.

She looks full & content off one side & feeds for about an hr (incl a burp & nappy change). The last few days at her 7pm or so feed she might knock the top off the second breast but that's it.

Both boobs get engorged & sore o/night.

Just hoping its enough to establish a good supply.

We have our CHN visit on tues so I'll check then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    'Knock the top off' - love it!

Is she having plenty of heavy, wet nappies every day? If disposables, that means 4-5 as a minimum. If she is and her weight gain on Tuesday is good, then you may just be incredibly lucky to have a nice sleepy baby